Which tyres do you rate?

Chat about alloys, steelies, sizes, offsets etc. Also: rubber reviews and Photoshop requests. Post 'em here!
Deeksin

Which tyres do you rate?

Post by Deeksin »

What tyres do you like or recommend? Looking for a new pair falkens come out with good ratings
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
Rage

Re: Which tyres do you rate?

Post by Rage »

uniroyal rain are brilliant dont know about many others as i have found them and stuck with them they stick in the dry and stick even better in the wet cant really ask much more than that in my opinion
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
TurboRix

Post by TurboRix »

On my Cavalier turbo 4x4 I had Toyo Proxes T1R. I liked them, they stuck to the road in the dry and were good in the wet too. A set of four costs around the £250 depending on where you buy them from. IIRC I got mine from cam skill.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

i do like a set of yokohamas but the fulda ones ive got are doing well i only got them because i got them cheap
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

my cavs on toyo t1rs

and my corsa is on parada spec 2 both good tyres
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
terkin

Post by terkin »

hankook evo12s :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb
planetc

Post by planetc »

If it's round and it holds air then I'll go with it, I don't go fast enough to worry about things like grip. :D
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Rage

Post by Rage »

ive ran on yoko s-drive didnt really rate them though nothing special and ive had khumo ecsta which were good on grip but wore stupidly quick
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

planetc wrote:If it's round and it holds air then I'll go with it, I don't go fast enough to worry about things like grip. :D
Your not the only one ,
V6power

Post by V6power »

Right deeky, between me and my brother we have tried out a fair few + you know our type of driving :thumb

Yokohama range - A539's were a good tyre but discontinued in your size, the parada spec 2's were good in the dry, absolutely awful in the wet.

Pirelli - P Zero Nero's are fantastic all rounders, very good in the dry and the best I have came across in the wet.

Dunlop - Sport Fast Responses and the new Sport Maxxis, again fantastic tyres, on par with the P Zero's.

Toyo - T1R's, ok tyres, dry grip was above average but gave out too soon, in the wet they were nothing special.

Goodyear - F1 Eagles (what I am currently running) not had the chance to test these out as yet as the cav hasn't seen the road since they went on, reviews are very good so I will report back on these.

I have found Hankooks, Bridgestone, Falkens and even Michellin to be nowhere near as good a tyre as the above. I know you like a spirited drive like us so I would advise the pirelli P Zero's, although I am not sure they make them in your size, if not my very close 2nd would be the Dunlop Sports.

STAY CLEAR of the cheap nasty ditch finders, no they are not the same as branded tyres.
If in Doubt.......Flat out!
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

I had goodyear eagles on last gsi great tyre in wet and dry, crap in the snow ,where I live you have no choice.
Using goodyear nct5 now the last set lasted 28k this was probably due to 4x4 but grip, road noise are good
But I agree on the cheap tyres they are crap especially hannook,
V6power

Post by V6power »

personally I would of went for P Zero's but my supertourers came with nearly new Goodyear Eagle's so won't complain, if they aren't too hot ill just run them down and replace, but I am encouraged by the reviews so here's hoping
If in Doubt.......Flat out!
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Cheers for the info Craig I have two pirreli p6000s on the front I found they handle well in the dry but the usual in the wet (not bothered bout wet as it only comes out in dry) so was going to buy another two till I saw on piston heads everyone was slating them! Saying there's two types of same tyre or some other poop! Size I'm after is 16,55,205
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

You find the people who complain about non cheap crap tyres are people who tend to expect too much of the tyre.

You can try replacing talent with budget but sometimes booting it mid corner is gonna be messy no matter what tyre you have.
5853moore

Post by 5853moore »

Have a pair of firestones on the rear of the cavalier and i like them to be fair hold the road well in both weathers and no road noise, better then the cheap crap ive got on the front of mine
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Gaz wrote:You find the people who complain about non cheap crap tyres are people who tend to expect too much of the tyre.

You can try replacing talent with budget but sometimes booting it mid corner is gonna be messy no matter what tyre you have.
Lol true first thing a thought when a read there comments was bet these fekers can't drive with there jap scrap move over there's an auld shaggy coming through! :D
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

all tyres have there pro's and con's.

to be fair in the dry any tyre will suffice on the uk roads, because there are speed limits, tyres dont exceed there speed rating.

i'm forever changing tyres for the conditions, if i go to the track then i use toyo 888, they will not work in the wet.

i just drive steady if i go anywhere when there fitted and its raining. makes me slow down and concentrate on whats going on around me

any other times i use nankang winter tyres, as there good for wet and snow.

i agree with gaz on this one
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

im more concerned with having 4 matching tyres as having odd is un cool lol
Stoater85

Post by Stoater85 »

budgets all the way...always been perfect for me...cos i don't drive like a f@nny! :cool
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Stoater85 wrote:budgets all the way...always been perfect for me...cos i don't drive like a f@nny! :cool
well said dude.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I ran a set of no brand budgets on my last wheels they wernt bad but ive noticed a big difference from them to branded ones, may be down to the slight stretch so there is no sidewall flex now.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

you pay for what you get.

its like evrything.
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Stoater85 wrote:budgets all the way...always been perfect for me...cos i don't drive like a f@nny! :cool

A knew there'd be some pecker piping up :D Tyres are the things that keep you on the black stuff regardless how you drive looking for a half decent tyre to feel comfortable with track or roads does not = drive like a fanny
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Deeksin wrote:

A knew there'd be some pecker piping up :D Tyres are the things that keep you on the black stuff regardless how you drive looking for a half decent tyre to feel comfortable with track or roads does not = drive like a fanny
dont use retreaded tyres lol.

i'm worry more about how tyres grip in the wet than dry.
TurboRix

Post by TurboRix »

In my personal opinion, I never go on budget tires or brakes simply because they're vital as that's what keep you on the road safe. I've never bought second hand tires either. It doesn't matter how you drive when it's raining and you have to emergency brake you'll definitely realise the difference from good tires to budget tires.

Also Deeskin you're car is capable of 140mph so if you ever did decide to take it to that speed (in a suitable, and legal environment I hasten to add) then I wouldn't advise you to get anything cheap.