Super touring tyre conundrum

Chat about alloys, steelies, sizes, offsets etc. Also: rubber reviews and Photoshop requests. Post 'em here!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Super touring tyre conundrum

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Just got my powder coated supertouring alloys shod with new rubber, not having much of a clue about tyre size for the V6 I went with the fitters suggestion based on the Vectra B (as that is what the alloys originally came off). But once at home, standing new wheel next to the car I see it is way too big, so after some online looking I want other peoples confirmation/recommendation.

The cav currently has steelies of 195/60/15, so I think I should now ask for 205/45/16.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Re: Super touring tyre conundrum

Post by Lowrider Dave »

The tyres I had fitted were 205/55/16. Not sure whether this will give me enough travel on the Eibach springs/shocks.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

I checked online the radius dropped about 8 cm form the 195/60/15 to 205/45/16 so should help plus lower the car as well
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

I think cavs with smaller dimater tyres than standard look strange. As they dont seam to fill the arches.

Tha cav turbo came with 205/50/16 so I'd go for that.

I know that the 205/40/17 I have on mine are too small compared to the original 195/60/15.

So my next set are going to be 205/45/17 which have identical rooling radius to the originals.

They help fill the gap in the arches better and also gives a little extra air for comfort.

Plus i'm annoyed with the alloy wheel centre I bought my wheels for my toyota in a few years back. They told me I neede 215/40/17, but they are tiny compared to the original 205/55/17. So I'm going to get a new set now.
C30XE
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

When you go wider with a tyre you are supposed to go to a lower profile on the same size rim, my motorsport has 195 60 15 & the gsi has 205 55 15's. I believe it's the same for rim diamter, I think 215 50 16's would give you the right rolling resistance to keep your speedo right.
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

HAIRIBO wrote:I think cavs with smaller dimater tyres than standard look strange. As they dont seam to fill the arches.

Tha cav turbo came with 205/50/16 so I'd go for that.

I know that the 205/40/17 I have on mine are too small compared to the original 195/60/15.

So my next set are going to be 205/45/17 which have identical rooling radius to the originals.

They help fill the gap in the arches better and also gives a little extra air for comfort.

Plus i'm annoyed with the alloy wheel centre I bought my wheels for my toyota in a few years back. They told me I neede 215/40/17, but they are tiny compared to the original 205/55/17. So I'm going to get a new set now.
Should try 215/40/17 that will fill the arch .I had them on last cav gsi but that depends if have a bad back or you want one ?
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Decided to go ahead and fit one of the alloys on the front - at 205/55/16 they *just* fit with barely an inch top room. Looking online, a drop to 205/50/16 would give me a little more room and it's the size Hairibo also suggested.
I don't want rubber band style and I do have a bad back so looking for a happy medium. I may swallow my pride and take them back tomorrow.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

lowrider dave wrote:Decided to go ahead and fit one of the alloys on the front - at 205/55/16 they *just* fit with barely an inch top room. Looking online, a drop to 205/50/16 would give me a little more room and it's the size Hairibo also suggested.
I don't want rubber band style and I do have a bad back so looking for a happy medium. I may swallow my pride and take them back tomorrow.
Good move low profiles and cavs don' that what riuned my last cav gsi looked good though
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

as they are wider than turbo rims etc, vectra sized 205/55's will hit the front arch lip/liner if you are lowered dave. also 55's on the back picked up on the very front lower part of the rear arch when i had a rear passenger. you need 50 series turbo sized like i started with, or some 45 profile, like i usually run. have all sizes here if you want a lend of one to check.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Cheer Pete, would appreciate trying a 50 or even a 45 to see what the clearance is like - the tyre place told me to come back with the V6 and they'd do the same (see which tyre suited) but as it'll be 2 weeks before I get a valid MOT that's not going to happen anytime soon. Drop me a line and we'll work something out?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS