rhs water pipe cool ?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
blackv6

rhs water pipe cool ?

Post by blackv6 »

was out today in the cav to go and get oil n stuff and noticed my temp gauge was sitting on the blue :scratch now it norm sits between the blue and the first white line popped the bonnet and found the pipe on the right was cool so was the rad but the left hand side was hot along with the rad am i rite in thinking this is the thermostat that's not working and also the fan wasn't coming on either so the fan switch is not working either all fuses are ok any ideas on the fault above

cheers scott
Cavalier342

Re: rhs water pipe cool ?

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hang on, it was on the blue line but one of the pipes was warm? Sounds like the stat is doing it's job, it holds back the water until it heats up to a certain temperature, then when it does, the stat opens up and lets the water through the radiator to be cooled. Fan shouldn't come on until high 90's.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
blackv6

Post by blackv6 »

Cavalier342 wrote:Hang on, it was on the blue line but one of the pipes was warm? Sounds like the stat is doing it's job, it holds back the water until it heats up to a certain temperature, then when it does, the stat opens up and lets the water through the radiator to be cooled. Fan shouldn't come on until high 90's.

yeah bot ran the car till temp was at red on dash left side was roasting and right side was luke warm im thinking a air lock? or poss water pump?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Possibly an air lock, or a blocked radiator. Is the heater blowing out hot air?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
blackv6

Post by blackv6 »

Cavalier342 wrote:Possibly an air lock, or a blocked radiator. Is the heater blowing out hot air?
yeah heater working on all speeds and blowing hot air i might drain the system down tom and refill to see how it goes
planetc

Post by planetc »

Does the gauge stay on the blue when driving and only heat up when stationary? This would suggest that the stat is sticking open? Run up from cold the rad should stay cold until the stat opens, if it slowly gets warm then again the stat is likely to be jammed open. If it stays shut then the engine will over heat. Is there plenty of anti freeze in there? It's not uncommon this time of year for the system to start to freeze in the rad if the anti freeze is too weak causing poor circulation, but again ultimately it will overheat if it doesn't melt first.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
blackv6

Post by blackv6 »

planetc wrote:Does the gauge stay on the blue when driving and only heat up when stationary? This would suggest that the stat is sticking open? Run up from cold the rad should stay cold until the stat opens, if it slowly gets warm then again the stat is likely to be jammed open. If it stays shut then the engine will over heat. Is there plenty of anti freeze in there? It's not uncommon this time of year for the system to start to freeze in the rad if the anti freeze is too weak causing poor circulation, but again ultimately it will overheat if it doesn't melt first.

spot on mate stays blue when driving and creeps up on idle so would u say its defo the stat is on the road out

scott