Need help identifying oil leak on C25XE

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
iancav6

Re: Need help identifying oil leak on C25XE

Post by iancav6 »

These are cam caps,4 per cam on the V6.The arrow is pointing to the front bank inlet cap with a seal clamped underneath it.
With all due respect,if you are unsure of what a cam cap is, this probably isn't a job you should tackle without help.When doing a belt change you can use a timing kit to lock the cams in place and is "relatively" straight forward.To change the seals means removing the pulleys and of course this means the locking pieces have to come out so making the chance of getting the cam timing wrong much greater.
If you haven't already, buy an Omega Haynes manual,they are basically the same as far as belt changes are concerned.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Thanks, don't worry I won't be going anywhere near that myself! If I lift off the cam covers, how will I be able to tell if the cam seal/s are gone, anything particular that I should look for?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Remove the upper belt cover to look at the seals.
IIRC you need to .....

remove engine stabiliser bar, check the bush condition while its off.
stabiliser bracket,3 bolts onto the engine.
aux drive belt.
Aux belt tensioner
water pump pulley
pas pump pulley
and finally bolts that hold cover on.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Sorry for all the questions but the stabilizer bar, is that like a mount which is at the far left corner of the bay, where the coolant expansion tanks would be on the smaller block engines? I'm only asking because I want to get a rough idea of how it all works...
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Yes it's a torsion bar in the rear offside engine bay. Again, look at my V6 thread, all the pics are there. There are a few detailed shots of the torsion bar. Often the rubber inside splits with age (it's an integral part of the bar) but packing out with Silkaflex to form a new rubber bond will help.

Seriously, check the V6 thread link I posted earlier - I documented complete head gasket replacement including cam upgrade etc so all the pics and info are there for your reference.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Don't apologise for questions either, that's what the forum's for! 8-)
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I know, I appreciate it, it just seems dumb of me buying a V6 and not knowing how to get past a simple hurdle....
Previous:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

We've all been in that boat at one point or another, you just get stuck in and learn on the job. It can seem a little daunting but there is every chance of over complicating things.
planetc

Post by planetc »

humbucker wrote:We've all been in that boat at one point or another, you just get stuck in and learn on the job. It can seem a little daunting but there is every chance of over complicating things.
Totally agree. Don't be scared of it Andrei, be prepared to ask the questions because that is the best way to learn. You are usually a reasonably capable diyer, just get yourself well clued up and you can do lots with the v6. At the very least you can diagnose the leak even if you decide to get someone to do the belt related bit for you.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye that's basically what I'm trying to do now, pinpoint where it's coming from and go from there. :thumb
Previous:

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hmm had a quick look under there just now, and it does seem wet with oil around the cam cover gasket line on the rear bank, so I'm wondering if it is seeping from there... Either way I wanna get the gaskets replaced soon anyway.
Previous:

Super89

Post by Super89 »

I need to do the rocker cover gaskets on my v6, Leaking at the back on the exhaust and its filling the plug holes with oil :x

Im going to get my Cav TD on the road anyway so they can wait :D
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

You could bring the v6 round to the lowrider garage and can do it there ;)
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ok, both of us go and fill Dave's garage unsuspectingly, we can get it all sorted there and then... 3 V6's in one place at the same time, that would be sweet!!!!! Hello car alarms :lol:

On a serious note though, we have to do that at some point, I need to get the cambelt etc, done soon ish but would rather stop this oil leak as it's annoying a bit. :thumb Dave, are you free like anytime this month after next week?
Previous:

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ok well decided to check 3 plugs today on the front bank, number 6 well was full of oil :wall So definitely at least that cam cover gasket has gone, so definitely on the list to do asap. Didn't check the other 3 because that would have meant removing the inlet, and possibly replacing that gasket too as I didn't have a spare.
Previous:

iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Cavalier342 wrote:Ok well decided to check 3 plugs today on the front bank, number 6 well was full of oil :wall So definitely at least that cam cover gasket has gone, so definitely on the list to do asap. Didn't check the other 3 because that would have meant removing the inlet, and possibly replacing that gasket too as I didn't have a spare.
If there is a lot of oil drained into the cylinder be careful you dont hydraulic it! Oil is not compressible and if there is too much you can damage the engine, ie bend a con rod.
if you havent restarted it I would take the plugs back out, remove the coil plug to stop it starting and sparking, then carefully spin it over.obviously it will spit oil out so put some cloths or something over it.
seem to remember someone else on here having oil in the plug wells and it wouldnt run properly afterwards.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Don't worry I mopped most of it up with tissue, before removing the plug. Seemed to run fine after...No splutters or anything. Thanks.
Previous:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Definitely cam cover gaskets then. There's a guide and part numbers in the how 2 section for the V6. 8-)
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

humbucker wrote:Definitely cam cover gaskets then. There's a guide and part numbers in the how 2 section for the V6. 8-)
Yep, cheers.
Previous: