burning oil after valve job

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
saucy_begger

burning oil after valve job

Post by saucy_begger »

my much loved 1.8i 8valve cavalier went for its mot today and wile having the emission test he had to keep the revs at 3000rpm and it was taking ages then all of a sudden a big cloud of thick grey smoke started coming out the exhaust :oops:

its fair to say I bobbed my self...

he said when was the head removed n valves done and has it been using oil. I said bout 6 months ago n its used 1litre of oil since.

2 minutes later the smoke started to disappear till nothing was coming out and she passed the test too? ive noticed im getting slight smoke coming out but nothing really bad this is when hot and cold. I can be cruzing and then drop into 3rd and hammer it and no smoke. I don't really use the car much and only drive it 4 miles to work every day so not even enough time to heat up. the mot guy said they could of got oil in the exhaust and ive not burnt it off till the mot cos I haven't got the cat hot which is probably right but 1litre of oil in 6 months and ive never used oil till the valve job?

it passed the mot but I guess this is gonna be her last year on the road :cry
planetc

Re: burning oil after valve job

Post by planetc »

Grey or blue? Oil smoke is usually blue tinted, and also smells of burnt oil. Water gives white. Was the oil level checked? Too much oil will burn off?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
saucy_begger

Post by saucy_begger »

its defiantly oil paul, my water hasn't moved since the valve job but a litre of oil was burnt off.

its mostly in the morning on start up, its clear then 2 minutes later it starts smoking blue/grey smoke. if I rev the car it clouds out a fair bit. I get out the street and down the road and still have smoke then I get on the bypass and it comes out a fair bit till I get warmed up and then no smoke at all.

if I stop in traffic and coast along I can see the smoke again if I rev its the same with a cloud but half as bad. once going it stops.

called the garage and asked if they changed the valve stem seals as its not on the receipt they said they should of been then I got passed on to another guy had to go through the same stuff then was passed to another guy?

I told them, it failed emissions test twice then a huge cloud of smoke came out after the cat was proper hot and once smoke went he retested and it passed. mot guy said its not piston rings as it would smoke constantly and it seems to him valve seals are leaking into cylinders and that will be why it was misfiring after being stood all weekend. he said its definitely burning oil.

if it is valve stem seals is it upto them to put it right? the work was done 6/7/13

they want the car dropping off to them so they can check it over. they want it for few days?
planetc

Post by planetc »

depends what you were charged for really, does sound like a knackered stem seal
saucy_begger

Post by saucy_begger »

it says on the receipt as follows

work carried out.

to remove cylinder head
to clean and reseat valves
to refit cylinder head.

parts/materials.

head set c18nz
oil 1ltr 10w/40 semi
antifreeze 1ltr red
oil filter op570

that's all it says they did? headset isn't valve seals its just gaskets isn't it?
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Head set would normally include stem seals,any garage worth their salt would have changed them particularly as they say they had the valves out anyway.
planetc

Post by planetc »

If you reseat valves you change the stem seals. That's not optional in my opinion.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

You can't take the valve out easily without damaging the original seal
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
saucy_begger

Post by saucy_begger »

hi guys thank you for the replys. sorry I don't get on here much but im working a lot so its getting time :/

its just the way I got passed about on the phone that makes me think they didn't change them seals. they haven't a clue what they did by sounds of it.

it was smoking today wile sat warming up and its blue tinge with it. it was cold so steam will be in the mix but everyone else in the street had half the smoke i had. it clears away once going down bypass. just embarrassing going down the road pumping smoke at the car in front when giving it some :/ also I can smell slight oil though the vents every now n then. mot confirms no oil leaks, she's bone dry. I text him today that I called vauxcare n he said they should sort it as still should be under warrantee n he thinks valve stem seals
saucy_begger

Post by saucy_begger »

I meant pumping smoke at the car behind lol
saucy_begger

Post by saucy_begger »

hi guys, took the car sat morning to get it looked at by vauxcare and they was very nice about it all. had a coffee and then they got 2 guys checking her. basically there is a bit of smoke coming out n they also said I could have water in my fuel causing my lumpy idle too as its been bit grumpy of late.

they put 2 green bottles of this stuff in my fuel and said it will get rid of any moisture or water in my tank and clean the system. they did this for free but otherwise its like £20 a bottle :/

they said they are quite happy to remove the head for free if there is a problem. they said let this stuff work its way round they system and next time I fill up only go to the esso garage as its the best fuel (which I did yesterday). they said keep an eye on the exhaust till wednesday and watch for smoke. if it doesn't improve or no change call Thursday and they will have it back and remove the head and do everything for free :)

hoping the stuff does the trick because I cant be doing with all that again. they was very nice and helpful. I have no idea what that stuff was that they put in the tank but shes running great, no misfires and is smooth and quiet if that makes any sense. rough idle is basically gone and is great. like a different car. crazy how some stuff in the fuel can make all the difference :/ normally when I stop its lumpy n groggy especially when at full temp. but shes always moody n groggy. its improved ten times what it was and from just adding stuff to the fuel its crazy.... it feels great to drive again