Any tips for getting more power out of a 2.0lt 16 v Eco tech

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
chrisash86

Any tips for getting more power out of a 2.0lt 16 v Eco tech

Post by chrisash86 »

Evening , got a 1995 2.0lt Eco te with a k and n cone filter and a peco back box fitted , I want to get more power out of it where can I go from here? Not interested in swapping the engine for a Sabb unit either
ilovedmymantas

Re: Any tips for getting more power out of a 2.0lt 16 v Eco

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I've been driving mk 3 cav's for 18+ years as my only car, in total 3, a1990 GL/ 94 sri eco/95 cdx eco.
When you say more power, what exactly do you want ? If you want big horsepower gains to brag about, you've chosen the wrong engine.
If however you want more oomph & driving enjoyment, see my previous advice.
I had an sri for over ten years, I now have a cdx. I call it the slowmobile. If I overtake on a 60 ' hill I have to drop to 2nd, which is screaming but 3rd is not enough, which was perfect on the sri.
1. Change necessary suspension parts for sri ones. (cdx is a bit "bouncy castle")
2. change f18 wide gearbox cogs for f18 close ratio cogs, keeping 5th from wr for economy. This can be done in-car afaik. (If you don't have the confidence then just get a gearbox change, f18wr for f18cr)
Honestly, you won't believe there is such a difference just by changing the gearbox (I speak from my experience with both f18cr & f18wr boxes), you'll enjoy driving it
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Cheers pal it's deffo driving enjoyment I want, what suspension have u got ??
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Sorry for the delay.
I've been lucky enough ? to be able to directly compare sri eco against cdx eco, both cars on standard oem springs & shocks.
I'm saving for suspension first then gearing. cdx suspension is too "wallowy". The BIG difference will be when the gear ratios are changed, a little bit slower with the air-con against sri but a huge difference in acceleration compared to the cdx
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
colin1

Post by colin1 »

Hi
with the XE becoming a bit rarer, tuning outlets are cottoning on to the XEV, consequently there are now 'bits' out there

You can make the engine alot more responsive by losing that lard-arsed flywheel, couple that with a Lexmaul 4-2-1 in place of that asthmatic lump of pig-iron that comes as standard and you've already got a very noticeable hike in performance.

No idea what your budget is but you might consider fast road cams and the possibility of an Emerald K6 ECU to see the real benefits of everything mentioned above; the map for the ecotec has always been reknowned for being a bit of a damp squib..

That little lot would put the ecotec side by side with the redtop (in my opinion) and then some.
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Throttle bodies ecu exhaust cams. Be very nice power then..

I am buying an OMEX 600 ecu with wiring for my SRi 20SEH when my Throttle bodies turn up from Germany. Should make nice power then for a 2.0 8v