Rear wheel bearing adjustment

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Mk3alan

Rear wheel bearing adjustment

Post by Mk3alan »

MOT on the horizon!, most years i get a comment (not advisary) about movement in the rear wheel bearings.
I was always of the understanding that a small clearance was required so when they warm up in use excessive loads are not put on the bearings?
What's the panels view on this?

Alan
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: Rear wheel bearing adjustment

Post by James McGrath »

Does it make any sort of noise when you are moving along?
You probably already know but it can sound like a droning or humming noise at certain speeds.
I'd say as long as it isn't doing that it is fine.

Also how are your tyres? Are they wearing evenly?
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

No, no noise, dead smooth no odd tyre wear just not really wanting to eliminate all clearance.
I know the later models have hubs with bearings in as a 'unit' which I believe will not display any sort of clearance I am wondering if the testers think these type of hubs fitted.

Alan
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

You should tighten the bearing so that you can just move the washer side to side with relative force or a screwdriver blade and no more.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I was going to add to my post but I couldn't find it!
Anyway, it failed, on a noisy bearing.
Pulled both hubs apart for a regrease and both looked good. On reassembly (without pads) I did find the failed one had 'some' sound whereas the other was silent but noisy, no.
I obtained original Koyo bearings and fitted them ok, with the 'just movable washer' assembly.
Took it back for a retest, unfortunately a different tester (passed) along with the failed bearings to show them, guy didn't know what to say!
The bearing tracks were not as shiny as the other side but I would certainly been happy with them.
I remember the tester commenting that the Cav was in excellent order as well!
MOT's eh.

Alan