Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
#161938 by Cabletwitch
Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:41 pm
I'm currently in Devon at the moment, sans Cav, but I'll check it out when I get home. I need to look up and learn about a number of parts on the 2.0 that don't exist on the 1.8, and try not to break anything in the meantime.
#162486 by Cabletwitch
Sat May 13, 2017 8:04 pm
AAAAARRRRRRRGH!

So, I got me a nice 2.0i as noted before, and wouldn't you bloody believe it? The damned thing has the same sodding issue, low idle RPM with what sounds like misfires (thudding noise from the exhaust every so often). I've changed the plugs, no dice. Cleaned out the ICV, nada. Today was spent changing all but the manifold and the downpipe on the exhaust (I did the gaskets though), and still nothing. The 1.8 has this issue, even with a new O2 sensor, so I'm almost reluctant to change it.

The one thought that springs to mind is that of injectors. I don't know if either is overfuelling, but at the price that most injectors go for, I'm again reluctant to swap those out. It's just the idle, fer chrissakes... drops almost as low as 500 on the 2.0i, and it's really doing my head in now...

Also, I don;t rate EuroFlo exhausts... I can put my hand over the end of the pipe now and watch it blow condensation though the seams of the middle and back boxes...
#162526 by cavalier1990
Tue May 16, 2017 9:39 am
Cabletwitch wrote:AAAAARRRRRRRGH!

So, I got me a nice 2.0i as noted before, and wouldn't you bloody believe it? The damned thing has the same sodding issue, low idle RPM with what sounds like misfires (thudding noise from the exhaust every so often). I've changed the plugs, no dice. Cleaned out the ICV, nada. Today was spent changing all but the manifold and the downpipe on the exhaust (I did the gaskets though), and still nothing. The 1.8 has this issue, even with a new O2 sensor, so I'm almost reluctant to change it.

The one thought that springs to mind is that of injectors. I don't know if either is overfuelling, but at the price that most injectors go for, I'm again reluctant to swap those out. It's just the idle, fer chrissakes... drops almost as low as 500 on the 2.0i, and it's really doing my head in now...

Also, I don;t rate EuroFlo exhausts... I can put my hand over the end of the pipe now and watch it blow condensation though the seams of the middle and back boxes...

Did you swap anything over from the 1.8 to the 2.0, like ignition parts? Can't believe you still got the same problem. What's the 2.0 out of? is it later or earlier model cav?
#162627 by Cabletwitch
Tue May 23, 2017 7:44 pm
No, the two cars are completely separate, it's just the problem is present on them both. The 2.0 is from a MK3 L reg, so post-facelift.

I'm just hoping what eventually fixes one fixes them both...