cav V6 engine on its last legs

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
cav_2.0_gli

cav V6 engine on its last legs

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

hello all,

i think my cavalier V6 is about to die on me.

basically, i have the following:

alot of vibrating from the engine
slightshot acceleration
leaking rocker covers + oil pressure switch

apparently, ive been told that it sounds like the oil is pressurising, and causing low compression, and that it wont be long before the engine goes bang! LOL.

however:

no smoke
no overheating
not using oil (apart from what its leaking) or water
ticks over fine
still feels powerful.

any ideas, if thats correct? does my engine sound like its about to go bang?

cheers
my driveway's like a 1986 vauxhall forecourt lol (apart from my mk3 cav's!
Gaz

Re: cav V6 engine on its last legs

Post by Gaz »

breathers are probably clogged, i did it once accidentially and managed to spit oil out of the rocker cover seal.
what condition are your engine earths? have you tried using a jump lead from the earth to the block
if its vibrating the car something is touching the car - exhaust etc. just need to find out what.
v6sri

Post by v6sri »

alot of vibrating from the engine
slightshot acceleration
leaking rocker covers + oil pressure switch

?????????

buddy that dosnt sound like a dyin engine,the oil pressurizing?that mean fooked rings to make it die?if so it would be blowin smoke forcin oil out everywhere,em light constantly on and slugish........get your self a compression test at your local garage,shouldnt cost to much and will put your mind at rest ;)

vibratin could be anything,all old motors will do this just av a good look for somthing loose,exhaust,mounts,covers,brackets ,ect......

the stuff leakin?thay could of had there day or like gaz sed check ya breathers

that accelerasion thing youv had for a while write?thats a fuelin/throttel problem not nothin seriouse or eles it would av got worse by now???

or the engine juddering mixed with the acceleration prob...is it miss fireing? over fueling?
1.4 l
1.8 gls hatch & x2 saloon
2.0 cdi pre face lift
2.0 dippy pre face lift & 2 face lift
2.0 gls 16v
1.7 TD gls
2.0 sri 130 seh x2
2.0 sri 115 ne saloon
2.5 v6 auto hatch
2.5 v6 cesero
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

arm yourself with a few cans of carb cleaner and do the idle control valve, the breather pipes, throttle body, the lot, give it a real good going over. the v6's ideally need this treatment to the breather system at least once a year and will keep the car running smoothly. if it isnt this then at least it wont cost you a great deal to diagnose and you could be doing yourself a favour anyways. if theyre blocked then the pressure will escape through the cam covers and spit oil on the manifold. all your symptoms point towards this as a first port of call.
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

v6sri wrote: 1) buddy that dosnt sound like a dyin engine,the oil pressurizing?that mean fooked rings to make it die?if so it would be blowin smoke forcin oil out everywhere,em light constantly on and slugish........get your self a compression test at your local garage,shouldnt cost to much and will put your mind at rest ;)

2) vibratin could be anything,all old motors will do this just av a good look for somthing loose,exhaust,mounts,covers,brackets ,ect......

3) the stuff leakin?thay could of had there day or like gaz sed check ya breathers

4) that accelerasion thing youv had for a while write?thats a fuelin/throttel problem not nothin seriouse or eles it would av got worse by now???

5) or the engine juddering mixed with the acceleration prob...is it miss fireing? over fueling?
1) i didnt think it was dying, just what some garage told me it sounds like the other day, when they took it for a test drive. i took it for a blat on the way to and from work today, and its still got PLENTY of power on tap for when i need it. no EM light, not sluggish etc.

2) apparently the vibrating isn't engine mounts etc. its only done it since ive had the gearbox replaced, so i wonder if that's anything to do with it???

3) just replaced the rocker cover gaskets for the 3rd time since owning it. havent cleaned out the breather pipes, but i shall be doing that ASAP

4) yer, weird acceleration problem ive had for 1500miles now, ive done the fuel filter and that hasnt changed it, it hasnt got any worse, and the garage doesnt recon its the fuel pump either. i think if it is fuel related, that its the FPR not holding enough pressure anymore.

5) i think it maybe overfueling, as it is drinking petrol like its going out of fashion, and it does smell abit fuely sometimes when you start it up and stand next to the exhaust, but i put that down to the cold start. the other day it did chuck out a small cloud of black smoke when it first started, but that was again cold start, and was only when it first started. otherwise, its clear smoke once its warmed up. it does sound abit mis-firy, but only very slightly to me.

garage said it could be rocker covers leaking and fouling one of the HT leads? or the coilpack's nackered?? but ive just changed the leads, plugs and coil pack was changed just before i bought it.
my driveway's like a 1986 vauxhall forecourt lol (apart from my mk3 cav's!
v6sri

Post by v6sri »

do the paper clip test and see what pops up,

plus dont no why your goin threw rocker gaskets?have you got yhe plastic covers cus if you have there probs warped and will be letting oil onto your plugs hence the probs?
1.4 l
1.8 gls hatch & x2 saloon
2.0 cdi pre face lift
2.0 dippy pre face lift & 2 face lift
2.0 gls 16v
1.7 TD gls
2.0 sri 130 seh x2
2.0 sri 115 ne saloon
2.5 v6 auto hatch
2.5 v6 cesero