C18NZ

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
shox1991

C18NZ

Post by shox1991 »

hi there as a few of you know i bought a cav mk3 1.8i the other week, im in the process of stripping the engine down now cleaning it and perpping it for the PVS show, ive been thinking while im here i might as well change a few things, im looking on kent cams or a cam for it but there are two, 'sports injection' and 'sports R' the only difference in the specifications are as follows

sports injection cam: timming 22/66 66/22
sports R cam: timming 28/64 64/28

which would be better as i have no idea lol

als it says that the only aditional parts required to fit these are there cam followers and valve springs, does that mean i use my existing pulley, cam belt, lifters etc..

also i was wandering would the exhaust and inlet manifold off the C20LET fit my C18NZ if so would the block take a low pressure turbo?

thanks people please respond asap as im starting strippin today :)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: C18NZ

Post by Envoy CDX »

No the manifolds won't fit, as for cams - alot of money for a not very tunable engine, still going to have 1 injector at the end of the day.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Squig

Post by Squig »

Strip the engine and clean rebuild, all good idea's... cam's are not a bad idea but very pricey for the gains. You will need a adjustable vernier pulley as the cam timing will need setting up to get the best performance. I'm afraid it probably won't run 100% on the basic cam pulley.

If you are set to make a racey 8v 4 pot el old skool tuning, and the kents are what you want, then you need to consider the R's are probably to aggressive for day to day use...
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

If you want more performance you might be better off with the 1.8SE multi point injection system, I think there's a thread about it on here somewhere.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

iangsi wrote:If you want more performance you might be better off with the 1.8SE multi point injection system, I think there's a thread about it on here somewhere.

Yeah, there's a couple I started. :mrgreen:
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

All i have done on mine is try and optimise what i have by using a performance backbox and a performance air filter. Minor gains are to be had. Probably wouldnt hurt getting the injectors cleaned as well.
toptune

Post by toptune »

port cast iron manifold and also you could try taper porting the throttle body below throttle valve and you could try porting intake runners
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Colorado wrote: Probably wouldnt hurt getting the injectors cleaned as well.
The good thing about the C18NZ, is that there is only 1 injector to get done.
Cheaper than paying for 4 or 6 injectors.!!

To do it properly, you need a garage with an ultra-sonic bath.