Engine Conversion

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
ashs_cav

Re: Engine Conversion

Post by ashs_cav »

Ahh ryt....wat box u using...? Thinkni av yhe f20 whoch is the 5 speed
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

Ye i prefer the f20 but they wont last. Good for a few month. The saab boxes are good but wont fit directly in place and the ratios are wider althougb you can get one very similar to the f20.
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Oryt...saab b204s slightly modded with

Full 3" exhaust
hybrid 19T TD04 turbo (#6 housing from a 9k aero)
Siemens 630cc injectors
 Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump
3 Bar map sensor
Big intercooler
Viggen Clutch

This is supposed to be capable of somewhere around 320-340hp. A garrett GT28RS would be good for 350hp. (requires more work and a custom exhaust to make it fit vs the TD04)

Copied from saab owners...u rekon they keep with audis , skoda vrs ect?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

320bhp in a 2wd is more than enough
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Haha just want to be ablt to keep with this skoda octavia vrs which is very quick haha...but yeah wuda frt it is enough like haha
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/f ... /vrs-2005/

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/f ... 001/21293/
So 180 to 200bhp not exactly earth shattering. With a remap etc probably 260 280
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

280bhp is quite decent I think tho...bt seems quicker haha
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

If your not used to it 280 is bloody quick, i remember the first time i drove one of turbodans cav turbos, was like being in jet fighter.
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

In my belmont i had b204 td04-15t 3" full system. 285hp. Aint no skoda or audi keeping up. Beet an audi r8 from 50 - 110. But that was only the v8 one. My stage 1 saab 900 will show a standard vrs a thing or two.

As said if your not used to it its stupidly fast.
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

So they full like trains then hahah..what I like to here.
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

Ye they do but they're alot smoother than c20let and dont seem to have as much turbo lag.
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Ok nice :) cheers of info...

Soo obviously need

#Saab 900 turbo engine
#Engine loom

Will the engine bolt straight in with the same mounts?
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

I think it does ill let you know next week!

Much easier to buy a full car. Get one between 94 - 97 as they are stronger, you can get 98 & 99 but they have smaller oil pumps. Its a b204 engine from a 900 or early 9-3 NOT 9000! They wont fit without changing alot.
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Haha yeah ino abwt the 900...didnt no abwt the years tho that was ma next question...but good info...will look for a older one then!
woody-gsi

Post by woody-gsi »

just dont do a v6 conversion
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Why not a v6? Haha
terkin

Post by terkin »

ashs_cav wrote:Haha just want to be ablt to keep with this skoda octavia vrs which is very quick haha...but yeah wuda frt it is enough like haha

ooo whos got one? :wave tbh your win easy they rarely work long enough to get any serious speed

mines around the 240bhp 270lb mark and about 1300kg(hopefully less),quicker than alot of stuff but still fecking slow :lol:

be going hybrid soon 280bhp 300lb i dont think thats gonna set the world alight either

no jack all about the saab engines but figures seem a little optimistic and anymore than 300bhp in fwd is just figures wont be usable in the slightest!!
terkin

Post by terkin »

also whats this skodas spec gots to know!
terkin

Post by terkin »

belmont_dazz wrote:In my belmont i had b204 td04-15t 3" full system. 285hp. Aint no skoda or audi keeping up. Beet an audi r8 from 50 - 110. But that was only the v8 one. My stage 1 saab 900 will show a standard vrs a thing or two.

As said if your not used to it its stupidly fast.

plenty of skoda and audi that could keep up ;) standard vrs is proper gutless so no prize thier :lol:
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

terkin wrote:

plenty of skoda and audi that could keep up ;) standard vrs is proper gutless so no prize thier :lol:
I dont doubt that! But my belmont weighs just over a tonne with me in it. Any skoda or audi to keep up would need a fair bit more power ;-). And my saab weighs 1500kg and has no sports car about it, its a big comfy barge so its good going for it to beat a 'sporty' octavia vrs. No offence there though mate! I was always lead to beleive they were reliable!!
And saabs do get good power, 290hp is easy to get with minor modifications. Everything was over engineered.
terkin

Post by terkin »

:wave a fair bit :lol: what saab you got?mapped?
no offence taken thier,ive ploughed 2k+ in to a stage 2 vrs and i think its gutless :lol: and no thier not reliable last 6months its spent about 5months parked up :lol:

yeah dont doubt that its breaking that 300(reliable) mark people make it sound so easy when it really isint!
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

terkin wrote::wave a fair bit :lol: what saab you got?mapped?
no offence taken thier,ive ploughed 2k+ in to a stage 2 vrs and i think its gutless :lol: and no thier not reliable last 6months its spent about 5months parked up :lol:

yeah dont doubt that its breaking that 300(reliable) mark people make it sound so easy when it really isint!
Exactly that! For me to get a reliable 300+ id need to convert my turbo to a hybrid (£5/600) or a bigger turbo full stop(££££). Then my injectors will be on their absolute limit so to be reliable id have to get uprated ones, 2nd hand around £50+. Then to map it again but can do thaf myself. Also a bigger intercooler would be needed. Possibly fuel pump too. Much more just cross the lne than getting close to it!

My saabs a 97' 900se. Same engine as cav, just with a stage 1 map. Should be around 220hp.has a stainless cat back system but not for performance purposes. Otherwise standard.

The reliability im shocked at! I honestly had no idea there was a turbo more unreliable than a tuned LET ha!
I bet i dont have 4 digit sum in my whole car let alone engine! Best thing about saab engines, that and certain ones are forged!
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Not sure on the vrs spec...thr lad bought it on stage two aparently. ..not looked into it just know there a big ole shiny intercooler out front haha! Think the lad said hes fitted a 6 speed also...havnt had a full look under bonnet
terkin

Post by terkin »

ashs_cav wrote:Not sure on the vrs spec...thr lad bought it on stage two aparently. ..not looked into it just know there a big ole shiny intercooler out front haha! Think the lad said hes fitted a 6 speed also...havnt had a full look under bonnet
is it black? stage 2 wont be anywhere near 280 :lol: 240 at a push so not as quick as you probably think :lol:
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Yeah uno which one I mean?