C20XE Knock Sensor?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Spectralcav

C20XE Knock Sensor?

Post by Spectralcav »

My engine doesn't seem to be running right - it's OK if you gradually apply the throttle, but seems restricted if I put my foot down too quickly. There is a noticeable difference in power above 3500rpm, but anything below that it bogs down really easily. Hope that makes sense!

I read somewhere that this kind of symptom can be down to a faulty knock sensor, and as that is relatively cheap and easy to change I'm thinking that might be worth a try. What do you think?

Engine is regularly serviced, air filter is clean, fuel filter is only a few months old and exhaust has a decat pipe fitted.

The engine management light doesn't come on at all except before starting the engine - it goes out as soon as the engine is started. Would a faulty knock sensor register a fault code or is it like the CTS which doesn't seem to...

Any thoughts? :thumb
planetc

Re: C20XE Knock Sensor?

Post by planetc »

knock sensor usually registers a code, have you looked at the intake pipe from throttle body to mass meter?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Spectralcav

Post by Spectralcav »

planetc wrote:knock sensor usually registers a code, have you looked at the intake pipe from throttle body to mass meter?
Had a quick look a couple of days ago - will have a proper look today.

It's not idling right either. Thinking maybe the intake manifold is either leaking or gummed-up.

Does the ICV have any effect on general running or just idling? I've never cleaned it in over 10 years as it's never caused a problem before now.
Spectralcav

Post by Spectralcav »

Well, the intake hose is AOK from filter through to SFI box - shame really; was sort of hoping for an obvious fault...

Will try spraying WD40 round the intake manifold tomorrow.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

spray wd40 down the ICV pipe

its the one thats comes from under the SFI box

i did this on mine and it sorted it (my icv was sticky revs use to hold now n again)

just an idea dude
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Spectralcav

Post by Spectralcav »

gsi pie wrote:spray wd40 down the ICV pipe

its the one thats comes from under the SFI box

i did this on mine and it sorted it (my icv was sticky revs use to hold now n again)

just an idea dude
I'll give it a go! :thumb

Would you do that with the engine running?