reliable ecotec!

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
sribobby

reliable ecotec!

Post by sribobby »

im still having issue's with cav. replaced cam sensor last week thinking it would solve my problems but it hasnt. engine still idles at 1500rpm at traffic lights and doesnt seem to wanna go anywere under 3000rpm then it just takes off and pulls like a train. seems to be the hotter the engine gets the more reluctant it is to go anywere at low revs, also takes longer 2 start when its hot, sounds like the battery is going flat! could this all be down to the icv? unplugging icv has no effect on running. no eml and no codes stored either. bit of a mystery
Gaz

Re: reliable ecotec!

Post by Gaz »

No icv should stall about a second after you take your foot off the throttle
sribobby

Post by sribobby »

its doing the opposite then, revving up instead of stalling! any ideas on what else it could be? i cleaned icv with petrol a fortnight ago and it seemed better for a few days. all pipes etc are clean aswell
planetc

Post by planetc »

Air leak on manifold or throttle body, or a throttle position sensor spring to mind?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
sribobby

Post by sribobby »

ive had a good listen around the inlet manifold direction and cant hear any leaks tho i mite have a slight leak from an injector seal, but it shudnt cause the problems im having. (or would it?). maybe worth wile getting a tps
planetc

Post by planetc »

Idle speed is controlled by the iac valve, which is instructed by the ecu, which will not attempt to control idle if the tps suggests that it isn't at idle. The only non electronic item that I can think of that will make it rev up to 1500rpm would be an air leak. If it were close to a cylinder, as an injector seal is then it would more than likely cause that cylinder to miss at idle and possibly even in the mid range. Air leaks are not always audible, spray some carb cleaner around the throttle body and iac and the associated gaskets and see if the engine changes speed or note.
sribobby

Post by sribobby »

tried spraying with no luck. its fine at idling when its cold so surely an air leak would effect it at all times? problem (2) is when the cars hot it holds back badly and just about starts. sounds like the batt is near flat, is that not sumthing to do with crankshaft sensor. cant afford to buy sensors and dont have any spare ones just to find out lol
planetc

Post by planetc »

Possibly, could be a lot of things. I would suspect that the idle issues and the holding back are separate issues though given what you have said. The xev is very sensitive to throttle stop settings and if it is just a tad too far open then the idle creeps up when they are properly hot. It may be that this is part of the problem.
sribobby

Post by sribobby »

think ill start with a new icv and crank sensor, theyve been there quite a while so wont do any harm. it does look like the wiring on the crank sensor is slightly melted
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

I had a simler problem with the ecowreck I changed my trottel position sensor and cleand my butter fly flap thingy with carb cleaner but I also changed my cam sensor that sometimes put eml light on but it was intermittent if any of that helps
joe cavalier sri

is the wire commong out of top near cam sensor melted cos sometimes that mademy ecowreck do same get the modified one from auto Vaux if its that
sribobby

Post by sribobby »

ive cleaned everything out and replaced cam sensor last week. i have the wires on the cam plug joined to the loom with small connectors, been like that for a few years without any hassle. no eml or stored codes.
joe cavalier sri

check the connections on the cam sensor sometimes wires work lose and refresh any electrical tape around each connection my cav never stored any eml codes sometimes it would come on and sometimes it wouldn't I had my ecu red 4 times and stored no codes