AF20 Auto box problems

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
dave's.veccy

Re: AF20 Auto box problems

Post by dave's.veccy »

kingofthekerb wrote:I've got similar problems with mine.

I've had the selector changed, i've cleaned the selector switch and had a new cable fitted.

My oil is well crappy though, just don't know how to do a FULL change yet. Got a fair idea just getting the finer details sorted.

Have you flashed the codes out for it?? You have to short out different pins where the plug goes for the auto codes.

Automatic gearbox. Short pins A and C on the diag plug

17 Solenoid 1-2/3-4 (Voltage Low)
21 Throttle Position Sensor (Voltage High)
22 Throttle Position Sensor (Voltage Low)
23 Coolant Temperature Switch (Voltage High)
25 Solenoid 1-2/3-4 (Voltage High)
26 Solenoid 2-3 (Voltage Low)
27 Connection Solenoid 2-3/Solenoid TCC
28 Solenoid 2-3 (Voltage High)
29 TCC Solenoid (Voltage Low)
31 No Engine RPM Signal
32 Pressure Regulator Solenoid (Voltage Low)
33 Pressure Regulator Solenoid (Current High)
36 TCC Solenoid (Voltage High)
38 No Transmission Input RPM Signal
39 No Transmission Output RPM Signal
41 Gear Error Hydraulic Fault (usually an internal transmission mechanical failure - forward clutch ?)
42 Pressure Regulator Solenoid (Short Circuit)
47 Down Shift Protection
48 Battery (Voltage Low)
49 Battery (Voltage High)
56 Selector Switch (Incorrect Signal)
65 AT Oil Temperature Sensor (Voltage High)
66 AT Oil Temperature Sensor (Voltage Low/High)
67 AT Oil Temperature Sensor (Voltage High)
75 Transmission Switch (Voltage Low)
76 Engine TPS Load (Signal Incorrect)
77 Kickdown Switch (Voltage Low)
78 AT Shift Time (Too Long)
Only thing is, its on a Vectra B so uses ODB, i can only flash engine codes

i have found out that theres a filter in the side of the box which requires an engine mount and an inspection plate removing to gain access to it. Its a reusable type which you wash out and reuse from what ive been told and found via TIS that i have access to
kingofthekerb

Post by kingofthekerb »

Ahh sorry fella. Thought you could flash the codes out on a vectra the same as a cav.

I've got TIS but it doesn't show you anything regarding how to strip down auto boxes let alone anything for a cav lol

Has it got anything on yours about doing a full oil change. From what i can make out you need to drain the box from the sump, then disconnect one of the oil cooler hoses and start the engine on and off for about 10 seconds a time to pump the old oil out. Sounds a bit dodgy to me.
dave's.veccy

Post by dave's.veccy »

kingofthekerb wrote:Ahh sorry fella. Thought you could flash the codes out on a vectra the same as a cav.

I've got TIS but it doesn't show you anything regarding how to strip down auto boxes let alone anything for a cav lol

Has it got anything on yours about doing a full oil change. From what i can make out you need to drain the box from the sump, then disconnect one of the oil cooler hoses and start the engine on and off for about 10 seconds a time to pump the old oil out. Sounds a bit dodgy to me.
Interesting, mine has a full strip down on auto boxes :lol:

thats something i havent found but running the box with no oil, if only for 10 seconds sounds very dodgy indeed :lol: