gear box noise

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
jet cav

gear box noise

Post by jet cav »

hi i have a 1992 vauxhall cavalier gl 1.6 16sv i had my gear box overhauled 6 months ago 10.000 miles ago because it was very noisy in all gears whining in all gears now it doing it again very slightly would changing the oil help the oil is black and smalls bad i have orded a new gear box sump gasket as it leaking so when i take the cover off i will put in new oil iam going to use castrol ep 80 is that a good oil my gear box is f 13 any help would be grateful as its a very nice car and quit runner before the gear box started .when it started about 4 months a go it has never got any louder and at one point it did not do it when cold only whean warmed up now it dose it all the time eng cold/ hot.?? it only makes the noise when on the throttle and as soon u get off the throttle it stops or when u dip the clutch well driving it stop ? thanks Adam
jet cav

Re: gear box noise

Post by jet cav »

i do not want to spend loads getting stuff done if it dose not sort it
dave's.veccy

Post by dave's.veccy »

did it have a new clutch and release bearing fitted when the box was reinstalled??

I know that the F13 in the Cav wasnt brilliant. I killed 2 lots of diff bearings when i had my old 1.6i GL
branny361

Post by branny361 »

if its had a leak and got too low it may well of caused some damage ... but in saying that, low oil will make it sound noisy refresh it and see how it sounds ...you might be lucky
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
jet cav

Post by jet cav »

the clutch was only done las year and whean it was leaking i keep a i on the leavel so it did not go low but i notsied whean i changed the oil the drive shafts had a bit of play in it is this normal could it be the drive shaft baring on the enagine block ?? ps changed oil nois still thare