gear selection

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
nutstrangler

gear selection

Post by nutstrangler »

ive had a problem engaging first gear since aquiring my 1.6 mk 3 expression at 56000
miles from new ! k reg. this happens only when the engines running. 20000 miles later

its still the same despite renewing linkage and checking g/stick alignment.kill the engine and its fine. sorry about the typing! thnks. nutstrangler.
Squig

Re: gear selection

Post by Squig »

first gear may be worn... does it stuggle to engage or does it jump out?
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
branny361

Post by branny361 »

new clutch

eventually you wont get first
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

clutch for def mate
nutstrangler

Post by nutstrangler »

Squig wrote:first gear may be worn... does it stuggle to engage or does it jump out?
dear Squig, sorry long time responding,but thanks, i spent some years in the motor trade, now retired,& have never encounterd this before.
clutch action is fine, without noise i-e release bearing, gear box is quiet in operation, 3rd 4th & 5th quite normal.to explain a little futher,
with engine off, 1st & 2nd selection is again quiet normal, when vehicles in motion, 1st & 2nd quite often impossible to engage, i need either to
stop engine, or partly select reverse! im inclined to think its a problem with that syncro hub, as previously stated, gear linkage bushes & pins are
new. could it be that selector fork ? regards Nutstsraglre