v6 rocker cover gaskets

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
v6beastie

v6 rocker cover gaskets

Post by v6beastie »

hi all I have a v6 cavalier on a l plate and have been having problems getting the rocker cover gaskets to seal.I am about to attempt my second gasket renewel with what I hope will be better quality gaskets than the first ones I tried,I would like to know of any tips to a succesful gasket change and also I would like to know the correct torque settings for the rocker cover bolts as perhaps I overtightened the last ones which may have promoted the premature leaking.thanks.
Squig

Re: v6 rocker cover gaskets

Post by Squig »

check the haynes omega manual for specific torque settings althought I tighten until pinched then a further 1/4 turn or so, however I also use a smidge of instant gasket around the rocker edge then get the rubber gasket in place and (touch wood) no leaking yet... I got mine from part-co/unipart as pattern gaskets.
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Gaz

Re: v6 rocker cover gaskets

Post by Gaz »

def torque them up, could try the metal v6 covers if they are warped slightly.

A bit of instant gasket is useful but im talking small amounts as squig said not lots as it has a habit of getting where it shouldnt

also give it an hour or so to go off before you use it