Changing the Clutch Cable

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Mike

Changing the Clutch Cable

Post by Mike »

Well my clutch cable snapped a couple of days ago, is it possible to fit a new cable without removing the clutch pedal? I tried taking the pedal out today but there isn't enough play in the bolt.
Rage

Re: Changing the Clutch Cable

Post by Rage »

no need to take the pedal out the cable unhooks from the top of the pedal then just pull it through the bulkhead into the engine bay then unhook it from the clutch release lever on the top of the gearbox then fit the new one to the clutch pedal first so your not fighting the tension of clutch. make it easier to get your clutch adjustment the same (or close to) as your clutch was match the adjustment of the new cable to your old cable before fitting it. should take about half hour at most obviously if you have done it a few times it's about 5 mins it's a real easy job
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

I can't remember but thought the clutch pedal pin has to be removed
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
planetc

Post by planetc »

It is perfectly possible Mike. The end of the pedal spring shares the eye with the hooked end of the cable and retains the cable. Release the tension from the spring by dislocating the other end first, then release the spring from the eye in the pedal and you can push the cable out with a screwdriver. Remove the old cable completely and fit the new one to the bulkhead leaving the gearbox end until last, you can guide the hook into the pedal with a screwdriver and pop the spring back in to retain it. It helps if you have an assistant that can twist the cable from the gearbox end to get the orientation correct as you are guiding it in the footwell. It is fiddly, last time I did one it took about 30 minutes. With practice you can do them in less than 10. Take care not to drape the cable across the battery terminals, I have seen a couple of burnt cars from this happening.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Rage

Post by Rage »

forgot about the spring on the pedal holding the cable to it . nice explanation planetc more complete than mine
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

There is s bracket that "clamps" the clutch cable to the engine side of the bulk head near to the brake servo.

I struggled with mine because of the spring holding the cable to the pedal,
and also the position of the bulkhead clamp. (13mm hex-head bolt).

I did not need to remove the pedal or its pivot pin.

The gearbox end is a piece of cake.
Rage

Post by Rage »

I didn't have a clamp on the bulkhead mine is just pressure fitted with a big rubber washer held with a big plastic washer thats part of the cable outer
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for all the replies folks.