C18nz tuning??????

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Astraab

C18nz tuning??????

Post by Astraab »

heya guys my 1.8i is just plain slow lol any tips on unlocking a few extra horses???? cheers :)
Cavalier342

Re: C18nz tuning??????

Post by Cavalier342 »

Not a lot you can do about it mate, they were built for economy at cruising speed, not power.

Best things you can do with a reasonable budget are a performance panel filter, de-cat pipe, give it a good clean/service if it hasn't had one for a while, clean the EGR valve out, clean the throttle body out, there isn't much point in using uprated plugs or leads as there isn't much base power to begin with. But if you can help the engine breath better, it will be a start. :thumb

To be honest my C18NZ automatic is quick for it's weight..... Got 120 from it before, you can't expect much more given the power-to-weight ratio.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Rage

Post by Rage »

cheapest and easiest thing to do is a c20seh or c20ne. I've done the ne and it cost me £100 and a couple of days work for +25bhp I'm now looking towards doing a turbo 8v eventually just as something different with plenty of poke :D
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
planetc

Post by planetc »

That^ and weight reduction. Remove amps, speakers, head units and the fat git sat in the passenger seat.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Astraab wrote:heya guys my 1.8i is just plain slow lol any tips on unlocking a few extra horses???? cheers :)
Yea throw it in the bin and get a 2litre
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

There just aren't that many tuning options available for a single point fuel injection engine.

The bottleneck of power is inherent in it's design. If you want a significant boost of power you have to do major reworking of the fuel delivery system which would cost far more than simply swapping the engine over to something which is more easily tuned.

If you want something different why not root out one of the old 115BHP 1.8E engines from the MK2 cavalier?
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

James McGrath wrote:There just aren't that many tuning options available for a single point fuel injection engine.

The bottleneck of power is inherent in it's design. If you want a significant boost of power you have to do major reworking of the fuel delivery system which would cost far more than simply swapping the engine over to something which is more easily tuned.

If you want something different why not root out one of the old 115BHP 1.8E engines from the MK2 cavalier?
or the 1.8SE out of the mk2 astra might be easier to come by pretty much the same but multi point injection, tuning options as well 4 branch manifolds, exhausts, cams etc.
Rage

Post by Rage »

if you can't get an engine try changing to a multipoint injection manifold from a ne or seh but you will need the ecu and loom to go with it then you can keep the current engine but boost it's power by freeing up the fueling
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Unfortunately not really.
I have transplanted the 18SE from a MK2 cav into my MK3 - straight forward however, you could use the 20NE and get a few extra benefits such as proper plug and play with the MK3 loom, and overrun on the injectors (fuel cut off when going down hill and so on) that and there is more of them.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Envoy CDX wrote:Unfortunately not really.
I have transplanted the 18SE from a MK2 cav into my MK3 - straight forward however, you could use the 20NE and get a few extra benefits such as proper plug and play with the MK3 loom, and overrun on the injectors (fuel cut off when going down hill and so on) that and there is more of them.
does 1.8 not have fuel cut off on overrun?
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

cavalier1990 wrote:

Yeah, I thought all fuel injection engines had it. :scratch
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

cavalier1990 wrote:
The SPi in the mk3 does, the MPI from the mk2 does not.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Envoy CDX wrote:
cavalier1990 wrote:
The SPi in the mk3 does, the MPI from the mk2 does not.
Yea it uses the old jetronic if I remember and fires the injectors banked not sequencial
planetc

Post by planetc »

Le jetronic, are you sure? I have a feeling it does have overrun fuel cutoff?
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

planetc wrote:Le jetronic, are you sure? I have a feeling it does have overrun fuel cutoff?
I think so could be wrong. I thought all mpi injection had overrun fuel cut, as it knows when the throttle is shut and over 1600rpm
planetc

Post by planetc »

I think it does, pretty sure in fact, that's why it has a throttle switch.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

planetc wrote:I think it does, pretty sure in fact, that's why it has a throttle switch.
Exactly