ultimate skills :p

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Rage

ultimate skills :p

Post by Rage »

went tot do the shopping and as I was going round the carpark to find a space the clutch pedal hit the floor as I put my foot on it (I know thats how it works) but it stayed in gear and the clutch didn't come back up.

found it to be the adjuster nut on the box end of the cable. I have checked the cable out and it's fine and due to finances a new cable is a bit out of reach at the moment. especially when it's only the nut I need. anyone know or can measure the thread for the cable adjuster so I can source a nut to hold the plastic adjuster nut in place?
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
planetc

Re: ultimate skills :p

Post by planetc »

I'm pretty sure it's a standard m6 thread.... ie a readily available 10mm nut.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Have you got a pic? Might have the bit you need in my spares box...
Rage

Post by Rage »

planetc wrote:I'm pretty sure it's a standard m6 thread.... ie a readily available 10mm nut.
nope though it was 10mm myself. the hex piece on the cable is 10mm which might be why i thought it was a 10mm nut. a 13mm nut just goes over the thread.

Hayward691 unfortunately i haven't could get one for saturday hopefully though. it's the black plastic block that threads onto the box end of the clutch cable that allows adjustment. it is directly under the battery tray so depending on your engine it can be a tight one to get to. might help you to take a look at your own clutch cable to see it in the plastic
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I know what bit you mean but I don't have a spare. My old manual Cavalier had a white plastic nut on it.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
planetc

Post by planetc »

A new cable from euros is probably only a tenner?
Rage

Post by Rage »

found one on ebay for £7.50 only with my new job and extra mileage to get to it I'm tight for cash for fuel untill things settle down so where the cable doesn't need replacing I was hoping someone would know the thread gauge so I can just put nut on the end to hole the plastic adjuster in place as that is all it needs and that would save me the £7.50 for a new cable. seems a real tight way of doing it but money is tight at the minute so every penny is counting at the minute and this adjuster de threading hasn't helped at all
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I know the feeling mate, I've been living on bank overdraft for the past couple of weeks, I will try to check my adjuster in the morning if it's not pissing it down, if the V6 clutch cable adjusters are the same as on yours... Will let you know if I have any success.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Rage wrote:found one on ebay for £7.50 only with my new job and extra mileage to get to it I'm tight for cash for fuel untill things settle down so where the cable doesn't need replacing I was hoping someone would know the thread gauge so I can just put nut on the end to hole the plastic adjuster in place as that is all it needs and that would save me the £7.50 for a new cable. seems a real tight way of doing it but money is tight at the minute so every penny is counting at the minute and this adjuster de threading hasn't helped at all
Probably m6, maybe m8. See http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1368030

In the circumstances I'd cut the last 1/4" off and try every nut I could find that could be "liberated" temporarily from other items, e.g. bicycle, pram etc.

Alternatively, 1" of tight fitting rubber pipe (fuel hose maybe ?) with 1 or 2 jubilee clips or mudflap clamp.
Or, drill 1/16" hole in threaded part, build up with washers to correct tension then put split-ring from a keyring through hole.

Obviously I'm just thinking laterally for temporary solutions I'd try but when you do get the proper size nut I'd suggest a locking one, or 2 normal to lock so you never lose it again.

Hope you find this helpful :)
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Rage

Post by Rage »

ilovedmymantas wrote:
Rage wrote:found one on ebay for £7.50 only with my new job and extra mileage to get to it I'm tight for cash for fuel untill things settle down so where the cable doesn't need replacing I was hoping someone would know the thread gauge so I can just put nut on the end to hole the plastic adjuster in place as that is all it needs and that would save me the £7.50 for a new cable. seems a real tight way of doing it but money is tight at the minute so every penny is counting at the minute and this adjuster de threading hasn't helped at all
Probably m6, maybe m8. See http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1368030

In the circumstances I'd cut the last 1/4" off and try every nut I could find that could be "liberated" temporarily from other items, e.g. bicycle, pram etc.

Alternatively, 1" of tight fitting rubber pipe (fuel hose maybe ?) with 1 or 2 jubilee clips or mudflap clamp.
Or, drill 1/16" hole in threaded part, build up with washers to correct tension then put split-ring from a keyring through hole.

Obviously I'm just thinking laterally for temporary solutions I'd try but when you do get the proper size nut I'd suggest a locking one, or 2 normal to lock so you never lose it again.

Hope you find this helpful :)

some good ideas mate I managed to reverse it onto my drive using electrical tape to hold the adjuster. it was miles ut of adjustment but it did the job to get it on the drive

Cavalier342 cheers I have been in y overdraft for a couple of years now hence why I'm absent from all the meets. this is something cheap and simple but still too expensive at the minute
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Just found my tap & die set and went out to the car.

The nut you're after is definitely m8 x 1.25 :)
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Rage

Post by Rage »

excellent thank you I'll try surce a nut tomorrow
planetc

Post by planetc »

Rage wrote:excellent thank you I'll try surce a nut tomorrow
Surce being the Suffolk pronunciation of source I guess, lol
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I might have a spare I can post down if you're really really stuck.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Rage

Post by Rage »

planetc wrote:
Surce being the Suffolk pronunciation of source I guess, lol
sticky keyboard :wall

Envoy CDX that would be great
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Rage wrote:
sticky keyboard :wall
Oh yeah
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Rage

Post by Rage »

knew someone would think that way :thumb