saab b204 engine

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
joe cavalier sri

saab b204 engine

Post by joe cavalier sri »

What's the spec of the saab and the mounts gearbox and shafts to use + wiring what year car and model car ? just it seems to have a better rating than the c20let and with a td04 turbo on its like sh1t of a shiny shovel cheers
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Re: saab b204 engine

Post by btcctroy »

Don't bother, stick to let or xe
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

B204R = boat anchor
C20LET = door stop

No contest.

There are loads of people going down the B204R route because it's cheap, and because there are loads of people on the internet saying 'ooh they're good for 500bhp', but have you seen anyone with one of these in a Nova/Astra/Cavalier pushing out anything close to that? No, me neither, and I write about loads of Vauxhalls equipped with this engine. Don't get me wrong, there are some great high-specification Saabs out there putting out decent power with the B204R, but the smart money is on the B207R (as found in the Saab 93 Aero), which shares the same block as the Z22SE found in Mk4 Astra Coupes and the VX220. These are super lightweight engines, are used in drag spec in the USA to 1200bhp (with a lot of fettling), and you can replace the factory turbocharger with a bolt on an Eaton M62 supercharger from a Chevrolet Cobalt without any mucking about. That's 300+bhp out of the box, and a BRAND NEW engine will cost you somewhere in the region of £700 if you're lucky.

Neo Brothers used one in their Saab 96 and have hit well over 500bhp, and they have/had one in their 93 touring car too.

If you're determined to use a Saab engine, go for the B207R, otherwise stick to a C20LET.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

I remember my brother saying the b207 was a great engine with good potential
leigh200sx

Post by leigh200sx »

this is a totally stock b204 , 660 cc injectors , 3 bar map sensor,3" exhaust. stock ecu mapped by the owner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuvVdjMzsMY..
leigh200sx

Post by leigh200sx »

b207 isnt a strong motor and will need rods and pistons at around 300bhp, b204 is the one to use and its direct fit, im using a f28 and saab drive shafts, its doesnt matter what letter is after the b204 as there all identical just the 204e and 204r had a apc valve and more boost. the 204l is the lowest power ..
leigh200sx

Post by leigh200sx »

http://www.saabconversions.com/phpbb/vi ... p?f=17&t=3

this isnt the only one with a proven 500+bhp on a stock motor, its 540bhp and has been tested for years now
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

500hp from a 2.0 is wild, without uping the cc i would of thought it would of been tuff certainly not impossible.
Other factors depend on the user of the rolling road and how well it calculates the hp from the 101 factors that effect the reading. There is a lot of people that pull them out from under the bench and stick a car on. There you go 500hp.
I'm not being an ass about it just not seen it for myself.
An f28 doesn't like torque so id get a few in stock!
Be interesting to see what you can get out of yours, quite interested. Do you do pod?
joe cavalier sri

btcctroy wrote:500hp from a 2.0 is wild, without uping the cc i would of thought it would of been tuff certainly not impossible.
Other factors depend on the user of the rolling road and how well it calculates the hp from the 101 factors that effect the reading. There is a lot of people that pull them out from under the bench and stick a car on. There you go 500hp.
I'm not being an ass about it just not seen it for myself.
An f28 doesn't like torque so id get a few in stock!
Be interesting to see what you can get out of yours, quite interested. Do you do pod?

Geek's :ugeek: :lol:
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

btcctroy wrote:500hp from a 2.0 is wild, without uping the cc i would of thought it would of been tuff certainly not impossible.

I imagine it is possible, weather or not it would actually be nice to drive is where is see the problem being.

Inline 4 cylinder engines are just not well balanced enough to cope with that kind of power. I'd imagine it would shake itself apart before too long.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

James McGrath wrote:

I imagine it is possible, weather or not it would actually be nice to drive is where is see the problem being.

Inline 4 cylinder engines are just not well balanced enough to cope with that kind of power. I'd imagine it would shake itself apart before too long.
It's not that the more power you produce the more heat is produced, 500+is easy to get its whether it's sustainable.
There are engines that are massively over engineered and a lot that I don't know about, it seems it's always the ugly engines
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:Inline 4 cylinder engines are just not well balanced enough to cope with that kind of power. I'd imagine it would shake itself apart before too long.
Are you familiar with the 4G63? That will do 500bhp without breaking a mechanical sweat. 1000+bhp is not unusual for this engine (with a bit of fettling).
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Only with forged steel conrods...
and then typical Mitsubishi owners / enthusiasts speculated max safe figures are 550bhp

With stock conrods 400bhp seems to be considered the safe limit.

Still - not bad for a 1997cc straight four engine
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

When you get that XE running, then look at other engines.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
joe cavalier sri

I've managed to source a c20let for £1300 with everything gearbox f28 electronic everything apart from air box my budget is around 2k to spend on engine for upgrades only thing is its a gm head on the c20let
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Price is about right for the LET / F28 combo if it's in good order. Air box is sub £20 so I wouldn't worry about that - you could always install a closed induction kit anyway. Don't worry about GM head. Coscast is obviously the more desirable part, but GM head is perfectly adequate. What do you want to get out of the LET? And do you mean you have £2k to spent after the outlay for the engine itself?
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

if you have a large budget just buy a cavalier turbo, you will never lose on it if you look after it.
Standard cavalier bodyshells cannot cope with 300bhp. also your insurance will take a substantial hit with fitting a non standard engine.
its up to you what you do, you tend to ask more questions than actually doing something.
Now i dont mean to sound rude but i think engine conversions are only for people who know what they are doing, your knowledge and hands on ability are weak.
Paying out for such conversions and there problems and niggles which come from fitting non standard items will be a huge expense for yourself, and seems somewhat silly.
Most who do these conversions roughly know whats involved and follow this process
existing engine out
google which engine mounts fits where to source etc, or make your own
fit engine using above
driveshafts (again google or use commom sense)
gearlinkage ( easy to make something work )
cooling system and fuel lines (again easy use common sense)
wiring (probably the most difficult bit for some but if you only worry about the bits that only interest you then its easy. obviously 12+, ignition 12+, ground, tacho, oil pressure signal, coolant temp signal.
If you look through this list its a simple guide, easy for someone who has common sense and a little know how.
i know you have a little bit of cash, sell everything you have and buy a cavalier turbo.
You will not be disappointed!
Power and speed isn't everthing
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

btcctroy wrote:if you have a large budget just buy a cavalier turbo
That's good advice, Joe. Working on the assumption that you have £1300 + £2000 to spend, you could bag yourself a good starting point as far as a Cavalier Turbo is concerned. The model is going up in value all the time, and you'd have a C20LET-equipped car with every factory part needed to run properly (plus the added bonus of a 4x4 transmission).
joe cavalier sri

Its what I want if I'm honest cav saloons look nice but I like my sri hatch and troy im in college again finishing off my level 2 and doing my mot testing course and certificates im not botherd about the mechaicing side and the clet is a plug in and play job ill be taking pictures to refer too aswell 2k is my budget to spend once I have the engine I only want above 300bph
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Well crack on then. With your level 2 under your belt hopefully there will be more action than words.
Some of the things you ask suggest you are totally blind in knowledge and know how.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Oooh, level 2, I did one of those once! I wonder how much it's changed. I actually took the class the day we covered fuel injection because I knew more than the lecturer! Aiming for distinctions I hope Joe?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
joe cavalier sri

planetc wrote:Oooh, level 2, I did one of those once! I wonder how much it's changed. I actually took the class the day we covered fuel injection because I knew more than the lecturer! Aiming for distinctions I hope Joe?
I hope so this time I'm older and will pay attention its a trade too and becoming a mot tester. Best thing is its same tutor as when I did my level 1 he's easy going :thumb It's just means doing maths and English again I'm dyslexic so its harder :tdown
joe cavalier sri

btcctroy wrote:Well crack on then. With your level 2 under your belt hopefully there will be more action than words.
Some of the things you ask suggest you are totally blind in knowledge and know how.
I like to collect info so I can learn from everyone's mistakes so I don't make them and cost me money some times I may ask a question that sounds daft to you but mite be serious to me its how we learn and it is a forum to get info :thumb
planetc

Post by planetc »

It makes a phenomenal difference when you are doing it because you want to, rather than because someone says you have to.
There was an entry exam when I did the mot course, don't know if it's the same now. 50 questions, general vehicle mechanical knowledge. I got 49 of them right and they said it was the highest result they had ever seen, I also passed the level 2 with distinctions. Purely because it was my choice to do it and I worked at it.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
joe cavalier sri

planetc wrote:It makes a phenomenal difference when you are doing it because you want to, rather than because someone says you have to.
There was an entry exam when I did the mot course, don't know if it's the same now. 50 questions, general vehicle mechanical knowledge. I got 49 of them right and they said it was the highest result they had ever seen, I also passed the level 2 with distinctions. Purely because it was my choice to do it and I worked at it.
Yer I'm doing it cos I want to now I'm paying for the courses too so I want my moneys worth lol but ill try my best :thumb