Cranks and stroke (ooh err matron!)

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Squig

Cranks and stroke (ooh err matron!)

Post by Squig »

What stroke do the 2.8 v6 turbo engine use and will the crank fit the X30XE?

***briefly for newbies that don't know; X30XE being (very slowly) modified to a low comp supercharged effort... was going in an Astra now probably a Cav 4x4, but more in a different thread***

As above... requiring converting to low comp but the more I consider the more I start to think head spacers will only cause more problems later and lets face it I'm a bit of a perfectionist (if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing properly) and a lot of a procrastinator (if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing tomorrow), so please don't try too persuade me otherwise... :D

problems with spacers that I've thought about... i.e. reasons to over-complicate things;
1. spacers with increase the distance from head to head so new lower dividers will be needed...
2. spacers will need to be approx 13mm (this is badly calculated but serves as an approximate measurement) therefore with custom manifold will I get clearance issues... quickly, I know I'll need to cut holes in the bonnet but it's different having some big chromed pipework on display to having a cylinder head poking its nuts out :D
3. new shorter throw crank will solve both issues...
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
dave's.veccy

Re: Cranks and stroke (ooh err matron!)

Post by dave's.veccy »

trial and error id say as the Z28NET (or whatever the Vectra VXR engine code is) is quite fresh on the market
Squig

Re: Cranks and stroke (ooh err matron!)

Post by Squig »

Z28NET is correct... not liking the trial and error idea :(

Found the stroke;
Stroke (mm) 74.8
whereas X30XE has 86mm... guessing I'll just have to get one from a scrappy and hope :D
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome