My car is unwell??

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Dippy`s sri16v

My car is unwell??

Post by Dippy`s sri16v »

:cry: Hello just wondering if any boby can help me?
I have got a mk3 sri red top it has done me well but has started leaking oil out of the crank seal not a big problem easy fix?BUT now it has started to lose all power and feel really slugish in every gear the engine management light has been on a couple of times but i cant work out whats wrong with it?
If any one can help i would be gratefull :D
Chears Dippy :oops:
dave's.veccy

Re: My car is unwell??

Post by dave's.veccy »

The crank seal wouldnt cause you any power problems mate other than a mess everywhere

as long as it has oil in the system and you sort the leak asap you should be ok. To change it you need to remove the drivers side wheel, any splash covers that cover the crank pulley, the alternator belt, crank pulley, timing cover and the timing belt.

When putting it back together, as the timing belt has had to come off it would be recommended to change it if you are unsure of its history or its satuarted with oil which can cause it to break, possibly causing headache and bent valves. Would be a good excuse to change the oil filter too as its in the same area and dont forget the alternator and pas belts if its the old type or the multi-V belt if the later type if they look bad too

as regards to the Eml, if you didnt know, you can use a paper clip in the diagnostic socket to flash the codes using the Eml counting how many times it flashes.

You may find this topic i wrote useful:-
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=630&p=4885
Dippy`s sri16v

Post by Dippy`s sri16v »

Thanks mate will get to work on it tomorrow and let you know whats going on with it? :D

Thank you mate Dippy :D :D
dave's.veccy

Post by dave's.veccy »

how did you get on??