Opel Vectra 1.8 shaking at idle

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
opvest

Opel Vectra 1.8 shaking at idle

Post by opvest »

I've got a '95 Vectra A. Indicated ~100 000 miles.
At idle the car shakes, i can see the steering wheel shaking while i'm behind the lights or have just started the engine.
My diagnosis was either the motor or the transmission mount, maybe even all of them.
But my question is: where are the mounts at and does someone have pictures of where they are at?
And if i were to buy mounts, are ebay ones good enough? I guess it depends on the manufacturer, but are the mounts sent from China/Hong Kong okay?

Also how "crisp" should the gear changes be?
At times it's difficult to get it into third (maybe once every 10-20 times). It gets stuck between 1st and 3rd.
Does that indicate a worn out gear linkage?

Thanks for the responses.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: Opel Vectra 1.8 shaking at idle

Post by Envoy CDX »

Shaking at idle could be a worn mount - best thing to do is to check for free play in the mounts but it could be anything from an idle control issues to a blocked cat.
What have you tried so far?

Gear changes could be down to worn bushes in the linkage.
Robsey has a good How2 on how to repair a worn linkage.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Normally worn linkages cause loss of / difficulties engaging reverse, 1st and 2nd.

Problems with other gears could be mal-adjusted gear linkage or clutch cable out of adjustment.

Soggy rear mount could affect engine / gearbox position just enough to cause sticky changes.
Be aware that new mounts will make the engine vibration feel more harsh until they have had a few weeks to bed / settle in.

Otherwise - if it is only third that you struggle with, then consider a worn 3rd gear syncro.

When was the last time the box oil was changed?
Old, thin, dirty oil could also cause sticky gear changes.

Shaking on idle could be an induction leak, dirty idle control valve, blocked breather, leaking vacuum pipe...
The list goes on...
thegriffin

Post by thegriffin »

My 2001 Vecra has a small steady bar on the top of
the engine which connects to the nearside wing.
If yours has one it's worth checking.
thegriffin

Post by thegriffin »

Sorry the OFFSIDE .
opvest

Post by opvest »

So far i've tried to locate the mounts and tried to properly change the gears. My best bet is that the mounts haven't been changed since it came out of the factory.

Has someone got a picture of the mounting positions?

Would a blocked cat indicate bad emissions? A few weeks ago it passed the local MOT emissions test with ease. Altogether the MOT was passed with no problems.
Also wouldn't induction leaks and other affect emissions? According to my ears and the rev counter the sound of the engine at idle is the same - no massive RPM changes.

Since i've been driving it a month or so i don't know the oil change date. Probably when the car still had its warranty or the same oil since it came out of the factory.
I presume there's a bolt to undo and drain the oil, but does anyone have a picture where to put the oil back in. Also i bet it isn't as easy as an engine oil change :lol: .