probz again

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
GTI Killer

probz again

Post by GTI Killer »

got a prob with my 92 redtop,it keeps cutting out when idling,im sure its a breathing prob coz its just had new leads and plugs and the fact its cutting out.so just wondering if anyone had any ideas,new to the vauxhall world see,haha

cheers,Daz
Gaz

Re: probz again

Post by Gaz »

Its the icv (idle control valve) follow the pipe on the right hand side of the back to under the inlet and you will see a silver cylinder slightly smaller than a redbull can, remove it and spray it with a load of carb cleaner/ leave it in degreaser overnight, then out a touch of oil on the flap to keep it lubricated, then refit

If its not that its an airleak,spray some carb cleaner round all the pipework, if the engine note changes, youve found the leak

Does it stall all the time or just when cold?
GTI Killer

Re: probz again

Post by GTI Killer »

cheers gaz,i thort it mite have been the icv,but it cuts out when its warm mainly and when u change gear the revs will bogg right down,sounds wierd i know,ha
a mate had a similar prob a while ago and it turned out 2b the ecu but i dont think this the same case though,could it possibly be the choke sticking because it does give a dodgy start first thing

cheers,daz