Cavalier 2.0GLi Randomly stopping

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
colin1

Re: Cavalier 2.0GLi Randomly stopping

Post by colin1 »

gazzafield wrote:...What I can say is that since replacing the rotor arm it has started up again before giving up the ghost completely. It wouldn't start up at all after conking out before the rotor arm was changed, which I find odd.

So at least I now know it's the ignition "side" of things. I was thinking of possibly working back from the plugs. So the next thing would be the dizzy cap, then coil.
When you checked the condition of the rotor arm, did you not also check the condition of the dizzy cap for the same wear? It's by no means certain (to us, anyway) that they've been on the vehicle for the same amount of time but it only requires a rudimentary check of the posts for signs of excessive tracking, the body for hairline cracks or chips (usually evidenced by moisture on the inside of the dizzy cap).

I would probably have changed the rotor arm and dizzy cap as a pair.

I've never seen a coil fail. That doesn't mean that they don't but it's rare. I would take the coil off the wing, and break it down for a good clean, also the mounting point on the wing and that the coil re-battens itself down nice and firmly.
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Assuming that the plugs are not sooted up.

I would check all your HT leads.
I had a fault on a mk2 13S with pierburg carb and electronic ignition.

My main lead was green and crusty on the ends inside the rubber cover where it plugs into the coil.

The heat of the engine worsened the already high resistance of the crustied up crown lead.

Eventually it burnt out the rotor arm.

So a good service / check of your HT leads, low tension wires and connectors and a service or replacement of the plugs and dizzy cap.

Regarding a failing coil - yes I have had one fail.. the cylindrical type as used on 20NE.
but these tend to fail fully...
One minute working... next minute nothing - permanently.
gazzafield

Post by gazzafield »

Anyone know how to test these coils with a meter? Haynes is not terribly helpful.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/238353/Cav_Coil.jpg
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

gazzafield wrote:Anyone know how to test these coils with a meter? Haynes is not terribly helpful.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/238353/Cav_Coil.jpg
Test resistance between low tension side +/- terminals with ohmmeter, should be very low like 0.4 Ohms, test from LT (+) to coil output (where coil spark wire goes), should be about 10K to 15K Ohms but check with haynes manual for specific values.

Make sure power unplugged before doing this. Then check 12V supply at power supply plug with ignition on.
gazzafield

Post by gazzafield »

I gave up and bought a new one. Fitted it today and have had two thirty minute sessions of running happily in my driveway. Promising, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet.
gazzafield

Post by gazzafield »

MOT Passed! Broken front spring , blowing front box, stripped threads on CV joint on removal and a struggle to get through emissions test. But it go there! And it has now been running for four or five hours. I guess the ignition coil was the problem after all. One to note for anyone who may have the same issue. £40 well spent on a replacement it would seem.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Well done, great result :thumb
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Fantastic. Glad to hear it got sorted.
nms11

Post by nms11 »

hello. try my report i submitted on june 19th. sounds like mine was doing. hope it cures it. regards n
nms11

Post by nms11 »

hello try my post re 225k cav 2litre a few post up from urs on june 19. may help. regards, n
gazzafield

Post by gazzafield »

I just came across this page again after all this time. I fixed it! It was the coil.