Clutch pedal stopper

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
cavalier1990

Clutch pedal stopper

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi

Hoping someone with a cavy that was originally a manual could take a pic of the top of the clutch pedal as when I converted mine to manual there is nothing to stop the pedal being pulled right back towards the driver that results in the clutch cable popping off.

The auto has the mount section for clutch pedal so never needed to change pedal box, but obviously something's missing somewhere and can't see anything obvious missing like where there would be a plate or bar mounted across the section where the pedal pivots. I can drive the car without it falling off but occasionally my foot will slip off pedal and it then springs up and the cable pops off.

Thanks

Andrew
Cavalier342

Re: Clutch pedal stopper

Post by Cavalier342 »

Strange.. Sounds like maybe a spring is missing or not located properly, the clutch pedal should go up to the dash, so as to free the cable, but it shouldn't spring up, have you had a look underneath for any missing springs or anything?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Cavalier342 wrote:Strange.. Sounds like maybe a spring is missing or not located properly, the clutch pedal should go up to the dash, so as to free the cable, but it shouldn't spring up, have you had a look underneath for any missing springs or anything?
What I was meaning about it spring up is imagine you had your foot on the clutch but you had some tension on it then suddenly your foot slipped off the side away to the left, then the pedal pings back up to it's resting position but because of this sudden release of tension it travels past resting point on first release and this causes the cable to pop out the pedal.

I've nothing to refer to so can't really tell what is missing. All I remember doing is removing the clutch pedal and the return spring. The cable has that little locating lug on the end so when I lift the clutch pedal it pops out the hole because the cable won't push inwards, towards bulkhead, but the pedal keeps moving back. I wasn't sure if maybe there was a spring washer or something missing from the cable end to clutch pedal to stop the cable springing out.

Actually looking at diagram here there is nothing missing I can see from mine?

http://gmpartscatalog.com/opel/vectra-a ... ssion-rhd/
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

While reading haynes manual it says that the return spring for the pedal is supposed to clip over the cable and hold it in. Mine's was at the other side so I think when I fitted the pedal I've put the return spring on the other way round.
planetc

Post by planetc »

The end of the spring does indeed locate in the same hole as the cable, and this is what prevents the cable popping out
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"