Carlton C20ne

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Mikebmth

Carlton C20ne

Post by Mikebmth »

Hey guys,

Feel kinda silly asking but want to be sure!

I have found a low mileage late plate Carlton with the C20ne in it but obviously the carlton mounts in line rather than the transverse in the cavalier

With the cav mounts could it be turned and fitted easily or is this a no go area.
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Re: Carlton C20ne

Post by Cavalier342 »

I would imagine it would fit straight in, the mounting points on the engine block should be the same, but the Carltons probably have different mounting points on the chassis, so I'm thinking yes. But wait for the boffins to confirm it, I don't want to make you spend cash on something that won't fit...
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
snowy

Post by snowy »

They are the same engine and yes if you strip the carlton engine mounts etc off and fit FWD parts then it will go into a cavalier.

There will be a spigot bearing in the end of the crank to remove and the Injection loom is a different length.

I've done this the other way around and taken a C20NE from a cavalier to fir in a RWD vauxhall
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

snowy wrote:They are the same engine and yes if you strip the carlton engine mounts etc off and fit FWD parts then it will go into a cavalier.

There will be a spigot bearing in the end of the crank to remove and the Injection loom is a different length.

I've done this the other way around and taken a C20NE from a cavalier to fir in a RWD vauxhall
Cheers mate! :thumb

That's some good news, just confirming engine code and spec then it maybe finding it's way into my cav! :D
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
snowy

Post by snowy »

If you're lucky it will be the 20SE which is the 122bhp engine.

Stick an SEH ecu on it and you have an SEH engine :D
snowy

Post by snowy »

The only other thing to be wary of is some of the threaded holes in the block you want to use for the fwd application will never have been used in the Carlton. I have seen these corrode to the point you need to helcoil them to use them
planetc

Post by planetc »

Sump is also different
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Was an idea...

Spoke to my mate John in Chichester last night and he has just bought a Cav 2 litre GLS to break with a C20NE already in it with decent mileage, now just waiting on the car to arrive and checks to be done on the lump which is late plate like mine so has a Cat :( but will be straight forward swap over.
snowy

Post by snowy »

planetc wrote:Sump is also different
Yes the bowl is at the front. But sumps and pick up pipes are easy to swap over.......
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Just because it has a cat already on it, doesn't mean it "has" to have a cat when it goes on lol.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
planetc

Post by planetc »

I really would try to get the problem diagnosed if I were you Mike, you'll be even more gutted if you put an engine in it and find it's still drinking fuel.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"