Window regulator plastic guide

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
paul_34

Window regulator plastic guide

Post by paul_34 »

Hi guys. I've searched but can't seem to find anything on these.

My front drivers window dropped inside the door this afternoon, while closing it. First time I've had a window problem in the ten years I've had it.

The white plastic guide seems ok, but the pin on the arm looks as if it has rusted somewhat so the pin on the arm keeps slipping out of the guide. I can't really see it all that well without stripping it out. Trouble is the pin seems part of the whole regulator?

I've seen new guides on Ebay that say for Astra/Cavalier and they include the pivot pin? Does anyone have experience with these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VAUXH ... Sw5dNWnoef
paul_34

Re: Window regulator plastic guide

Post by paul_34 »

Spoke to the local dealer today. You drill the old pin out, put the new one in the arm and peen the top over like a rivet.

Really looking forward to taking the regulator out, not!!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

If it's the same bit that I'm thinking of, I once did a repair on that on my mate's Cavalier, I used a small bolt, put that through the slider and put a nut on the end to secure it. Window still works fine on his motor.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

Cavalier342 wrote:If it's the same bit that I'm thinking of, I once did a repair on that on my mate's Cavalier, I used a small bolt, put that through the slider and put a nut on the end to secure it. Window still works fine on his motor.
I thought about using a bolt but seeing as I was taking it out I might as well just get the part :thumb

£5.11 on trade but £5 to me lol

The head of the pin on mine had rusted away, there was only half of the ball of the head left. the plastic slider was fine.

I ground the the back of the pin off with the bench grinder and tapped it out of the arm, much easier than trying to drill it out. Not a bad job just awkward.

I suppose I had better check the rest of the doors!