C20let trouble starting issue

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
dazzlersri

C20let trouble starting issue

Post by dazzlersri »

Hi all, as above I'm in the process of getting the car back on the road after a bit of a hibernation and am encountering poor starting issues. I can always get it to start but it takes quite a while cranking over, and it seems to flood/stall, (if that makes any sense) clear, carry on cranking and then eventually start.
Once its running it idles high (2k-ish) for a few seconds then settles to normal rpm and runs/drives perfectly after that.

So far ive stripped the dizzy off and cleaned the contacts and fitted a new rotor arm which helped somewhat, changed the coolant temp sensor for a new genuine bosch one which all but cured it for a while but then it came back. Plugs and leads appear to be fine, and the fuel is fresh.
Whats the next best thing to try ?
Thanks in advance :)
K343 RRL 1992 SRi 8v SEH - RIP
L750 BUY 1994 4x4 turbo
cavalier1990

Re: C20let trouble starting issue

Post by cavalier1990 »

Checked for any error codes dazzler? Also maybe lazy sticky pump/relay, blocked fuel filter, or fuel pressure regulator. might be worth checking in line pressure when trying to start.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Duff coil pack? Lazy fuel pump?
dazzlersri

Post by dazzlersri »

cavalier1990 wrote:Checked for any error codes dazzler? Also maybe lazy sticky pump/relay, blocked fuel filter, or fuel pressure regulator. might be worth checking in line pressure when trying to start.
humbucker wrote:Duff coil pack? Lazy fuel pump?
Its got a new walbro uprated pump and wiring, new fuel filter and a new relay so no trouble there. The eml has been coming on and I flashed these codes off the other day:

16 knock sensor - no change in voltage
19 crank sensor - incorrect signal
37 engine self-diagnosis (fault code light) - low voltage

Will look into the knock sensor and wiring next time, the crank sensor flashed out with the engine running too so I'm guessing that could with replacing but the code 37 has got me stumped ?
K343 RRL 1992 SRi 8v SEH - RIP
L750 BUY 1994 4x4 turbo