Cavalier Ecotec. A few questions

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
V4matt

Cavalier Ecotec. A few questions

Post by V4matt »

Firstly I'm new here so, Hi! :-)

Recently bought a very clean GLS and it's been great, but starting to develop a few problems..

I get a horrible dip/hesitation at around 2000 rpm. Especially when just rolling on at slower speeds.

The engine has also developed a 'whine' noise. Seems to be coming from timing belt area. I have replaced the belt, tensioner and water pump but the noise remains the same, and I'm sure it wasn't there when I first got the car.

Any info / experience appreciated.

Thanks
Super89

Re: Cavalier Ecotec. A few questions

Post by Super89 »

The noise only when the engine is warm?

I had the same noise when i first got my SRi, Turned out to be the cambelt was way too tight.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hi & welcome :wave

A very common problem with the eco is the idle control valve gungeing up .
I'd start with cleaning the icv and throttle body with carb cleaner, don't forget the pin-hole sized breather in the throttle body. Remove icv & just keep spraying, shaking & emptying until it no longer runs out black.
Also check for air leaks & clean the cam cover hoses and the oil separator box/filter. (the side prises off quite easily)
Is oil-level ok, not overfilled. Is throttle dirty or oiled?
My money would be on the icv but cleaning the other bits can only help.
From my experience (15yrs eco but no expert) the whining could be a missing spacer in the cover (usually top) or the cover slightly warped at the bottom fixing points, usually caused by a previous owner undoing the top bolt only & pulling back in order to change the cam sensor without jacking the car up :roll: , try loosening the bolts a little to see if there's a change.

-matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
sribobby

Post by sribobby »

The noise could be coming from the alternator belt/pullies. Is the engine light not on? Dodgy cam or crank sensor would cut out at 4500rpm
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Welcome fella,

I'd agree with ilovedmantas, my XEV back in the day had the same issue. Up to about 2k rpm the idle control value supposedly is in use and thus if it's kangarooing, it is likely the ICV is sticking and needs a damn good clean or replacement.

Cleaning almost always works. Get a powerful degreaser/cleaner like Carb cleaner, you may need to scrape off gunky bits on the visible internal parts, but clean as much as you can, as mentioned.

I tend to put in a few drops of oil after a good clean so the ICV stays lubricated, either thin engine oil or some everyday 3in1 oil will be fine.

As for the whine from around the drive belt area, it's either alternator bearings or quite possibly cambelt tensioners and pulley bearings going.

Hope you get it sorted and don't let anyone think those engines are useless (even if they are a little moany sometimes :D ) Once running well, they're great!