EML light

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Cavdvm

EML light

Post by Cavdvm »

Hi when I turn on the ignition all the various lights come on the dash then turn off, except handbrake, brake , battery and the EML light is this correct or should the EML light go off? When I start the car all the lights go off and stay off? Thanks
Cabletwitch

Re: EML light

Post by Cabletwitch »

Handbrake is on when the lever is up, so that should go away when you take the brake off as expected. The battery light staying on when the engine is running is indicative of the alternator not charging the battery, either a knackered regulator or the alt unit itself has somehow managed to short internally, or is otherwise NFG. The brake light is (I think... need someone to confirm) on when the fluid level is low, or might be a wear level indicator (Do any cavs have this at all?) . As for the EML light, could be any of a number of issues, my guess is a sensor has gone a bit wonky and the car is flagging it up as a potential issue. Try the fault code trick (somewhere else on the forum, I forget, having never had to do it) and see what it relates to. Could very well be associated with the alternator, if anything power sensitive is failing due to low voltage/current when the starter is engaged.

That's just my guess, probably best to wait for more knowledgeable people to give you a better answer! :D
Never use another Cav driver as guidance to a destination, unless you REALLY want to explore the country.

"Won't SOMEBODY please think of the scones?"

1.7TD Ethos (Slightly broken)
1.8i (Given up, going for parts)
2.0i (WHY won't it work?!)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That sounds like it is working correctly.

EML, Oil and Charge light will not extinguish until the engine is running.

Airbag, and any check control lights shoukd extinguish after about 4 seconds with or without the engine running.

I would only worry if they came on whilst the engine is running.

The handbrake light will stay on as long as the lever is in the raised park position.
Cabletwitch

Post by Cabletwitch »

And this is why I shouldn't try and answer questions while drunk and half asleep...
Never use another Cav driver as guidance to a destination, unless you REALLY want to explore the country.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

No worries...

We all have those "d'oh" moments.

I am quite prone to the occasional brain fart.
Ha ha.
Cavdvm

Post by Cavdvm »

Cheers boys I'm the hyprocondriac when it comes to stuff like this! Lol
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Just as a quick add-on to the question.

The EML / MIL(Engine Management fault Indication Light) will only extinguish if the engine is "running within expected parameters".

That is -
The engine is running and all the sensors are sending suitable / normally expected information back to the engine ECU.

When you turn on the ignition, but the engine is not running, a temporary fault code is sent from the ecu. This is because it is looking for a regular crank angle position sensor pulse.

From memory, I think fault Code 31 is logged.
(Inductive pulse pick up - no engine speed signal)

As soon as the engine turns over above a certain revs per minute, and a regular crank postion pulse is detected, the fault code is cleared. The engine then fires up and away we go.
(The ECU needs a reliable crank position pulse, so that it knows when to ignite the spark plugs and trigger the injectors.)

Here endeth the lesson my beloved brethren.
Cabletwitch

Post by Cabletwitch »

Injectors... plural? If only...

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ah yes - C18NZ....
Single point central injection.

Plural injectors was just a general statement.

I have got used to referring to multi-point injectors since fitting the C20NE to my car five years ago.