Mocking up a cable through shift system on an f16 box..

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Mocking up a cable through shift system on an f16 box..

Post by Envoy CDX »

Has anyone done it? I keep toying with the idea of thowing some modern twists as the Cav as it's still in development. Being honest I am getting lazy and I just want something that works without minimal fuss, but if I am going to have to spend cash to replace all the bushes, rods and so on to make it "s new" why not look at ways of making it better.

So I have been reading old threads on forums where people have adapted this into MK2 cav's, Astra's and Nova's and corsa's. So - has anyone got this working in a MK3 cav, and if so - how much of a chew on was it?

So far, I think getting all the bits from a 1.8 Vectra C is going to be all I need with the possibility of making up some brackets depending on the F16 box I have (Fingers crossed, it's got the old MK2 mounting holes on it eh? :D )

Then theres always the.. Should I make the clutch hydrolic..
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Mocking up a cable through shift system on an f16 box..

Post by Robsey »

Wow Gary,

Sounds a lot of extra effort -
Regarding the hydraulic clutch.
Admittedly the Vectra-C clutch is very reliable and works remarkably well.
I am wondering though about the additional weight and complexity of adding fluid lines, master and slave cylinders and a fluid reservoir.

Same with the Vectra-C gear change mechanism. We have a M40 6 speed box in our "C" with 1.9CDTi 150.
The gear shift mechanism is very smooth and precise even with 11 1/2 years and 130,000 miles worth of wear.

Visual impression is that the linkages and rods are beefed-up modernised versions of those on a Cavalier.

Not wanting to poo-poo your thoughts, my understanding a few years ago was the simplification of the gear change mechanism, using threaded rods and ball-joint assemblies to make a quick-shift assembly.

Therefore a bit of discussion is required to consider the trade-off / compromise between smoothness and ease of operation, and the effect of additional weight on the driving experience.

I wholley understsnd as I get older (nearer to my 50's) that comfort and smoothness of a well constructed and laid out car cockpit start to become more appealing compared to the slightly more raw and somewhat basic experience of a 20-odd year old cockpit.
(Especially as muscles and joints become less willing and able).

Okay a final comment - is the Mk2 / Mk3 gear linkage and clutch set up that bad?
If not - my theory is "If it ain't broke, you don't fix it".

I toyed with the dash on my Cavalier.
Should I stick with 90's interior of should I upgrade to 2005 technology.
The Vectra-C sat nav stuff was great and useful, but I threw / wasted loads of hours at it.

This time around, I am reverting back to original, because I found the charm and originality of a basic set up (In the Yaris) more to my liking. And of course - a lot less involved with cutting and shutting the dash and modifying to make it all fit.
So less stress in the making.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: Mocking up a cable through shift system on an f16 box..

Post by Envoy CDX »

I can't see there being that much weight being added, after all, I am simply swapping like for like in theory.
F17 Turret and selector onto my F16
Rod for a pair of cables and one (possibly) additional bracket if all the holes don't line up on the F16 box
Then there is the gearstick which from what I can tell is a like for like replacement.

Hydraulic clutch, yes, would be a bit more effort, but would it be worth it? :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index