Clutch cable

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Mk3alan

Clutch cable

Post by Mk3alan »

My 2 litre CD clutch cable feels as though it needs lubrication?
I believe the inner cable has a nylon outer to it which runs in the cable outer and is considered 'maintenance free' but it doesn't feel 'smooth'
Is it much of a pain to either remove the whole cable or just release the gearbox end and dribble some lube in?
Or, is this the first sign of failure?

Alan
Cavalier342

Re: Clutch cable

Post by Cavalier342 »

Does it sqeak when you engage the clutch? It could just be the pedal box that needs some oil in the pivot point above the clutch pedal.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

No squeaks just a slight juddereness that I'm sure didn't use to be there.
Clutch itself picks up smoothly. I might have a play tomorrow and release the gearbox end and see if I can introduce some lube. It's done just on 80k and I have a new Quinton Hazell cable which might be worth fitting?

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

There are various causes for graunchy unlubricated / sticking clutch pedal or cable could be.-

First line of attack is the pivot pin as Andrei mentions.
They get worn or generally dry in the pedal box.
First action is to squirt or dollop some grease on the pivot pin where it goes through the pedal box.
In very extreme cases the pin itself can be worn, and may need to be replaced.
By the way - it is a bugger to get out.
Ensure that when you refit the pin, that you also fit the washer, nut and locking clip.

Cables themselves can become dried or stiff, so a drizzle of 3 in 1 or similar oil may indeed loosen things up.
But also check the routing of the cable. Any tight kinks or bends will make it feel stiffer to operate.

Check the amount of travel of the pedal -
Fully pressed position to pedal at rest should be 137mm apart +/- 4mm.

If despite all this the pedal still feels "unlubricated" it could be the start of the process whereby the clutch pedal gradually feels heavier and heavier to press.
This should indicate that the diaphragm fingers of the clutch are starting to become defective.

Judderiness could be a whole bunch of other things.
Clutch judder =
Worn or contaminated clutch surfaces
Incorrectly adjusted clutch pedal
Weak engine mount.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Had a go at the clutch cable today, released it from the bell housing fork unclipped it from its support and with it raised administered some semi synthetic 5 - 30 oil.
Let it run in with more doses to follow. Fresh grease on the lever end and the result is brilliant, so smooth.
The inner cable has a nylon sleeve on it to provide low friction in the outer but it has responded well to a drop of lube.

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sounds like I should have done this three months ago.
Another essential job to go on my list.

Glad you got it sorted. :thumb