V6 coolant,

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
chrisash86

V6 coolant,

Post by chrisash86 »

My V6 has started to Loose a little coolant , could this be the head gaskets going or something else that I've not thought of?
Cavalier342

Re: V6 coolant,

Post by Cavalier342 »

Does it overheat? Is there oil or sludge in the coolant reservoir? Hopefully it's not the oil cooler that's gone as they are a nightmare to do from what I heard. Any leaks on the ground under the front end?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

No leaks and no over heating, coolant seemed a little down since I checked it last there was no oily deposits in the coolant either
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

What about the oil itself, are there any mayonnaise-like deposits around the filler cap or on the dipstick?
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

before jumping to conclusions of head gasket failure, look at any visible signs of leakage.

On a car of this age, your rubber hoses will all be past their best, if they have not been replaced in the past ten years.
So look for dried residue around hose ends.

My header tank developed a fine hair-line crack close to the filler neck.
When the coolant got pressurised through heat, some coolant leaked through the crack, staining the crack.

I use long life red / orange fluid, so when that leaks, you cannot miss the reddy orange residue where the fluid has escaped.

Weak spots are: -

Split or perished hoses.
Loose hose clamps.
Leaking water pump
Cracked header tank or weak seal on the cap.
Leaking heater matrix - if it is still the original item (feel for wet carpets in the foot-wells)
Leaking radiator.
and head gasket.

If your gasket has failed, then it may cause any of the above, but a good check is to whip out your plugs, and see if any look unusually clean or different from the others.
Also - ordinarily a leaky head gasket could cause the top radiator hoses to swell or become very hard (harder than usual) due to internal elevated pressures caused by exhaust gasses escaping through the gasket into the water jacket.

It is hard to tell from a distance, but I have been advised in the past that if you suspect a duff head gasket, then you could get the coolant header tank "sniffed" by a probe, to see if any exhaust gasses are present whilst the engine is running.
(Obviously you don't open the header tank cap when the coolant is hot. It is safer to warm the car up with the cap off.) - Public safety notice just in case - ha ha.
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Checked coolant today I've only done two trips of 7 miles each way, I've checked it when it's completely cold. The antifreeze is just at the cold kalt mark. No mayo on the dipstick or around the oil cap either. And the antifreeze is a lovely orange colour no oil deposits . Maybe it's just me being paranoid
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Probably just nothing then, if the coolant hoses are really stiff when the engine is hot then it's ok, means there's good pressure in the system. Just keep an eye on it from time to time.
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

chrisash86 wrote:Checked coolant today I've only done two trips of 7 miles each way, I've checked it when it's completely cold. The antifreeze is just at the cold kalt mark. No mayo on the dipstick or around the oil cap either. And the antifreeze is a lovely orange colour no oil deposits . Maybe it's just me being paranoid
That sounds like everything is fine.
Just need to learn to chill and enjoy the car.