Gearbox Issues

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Mikebmth

Gearbox Issues

Post by Mikebmth »

Hey all,

So Gearbox issues, presume mine is F16 as mated to a C20ne ('94) but lost 2nd gear before and replaced Gear Linkage arm (metal rod that clips on each end) and all was fine, developed a knocking going into second then today driving home completely lost 2nd gear again.

Wonder if there is anything i should be looking for bar another Gearbox as pretty short of funds at the moment and town driving with no 2nd is an utter pig!!
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Re: Gearbox Issues

Post by Cavalier342 »

May as well add, we tried to adjust the gear selector unit, but the hood on his car refused to pop, so no joy there, which is another problem in it's own, but we wondered if that would help the cause.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It does surprise me that 2nd gear alone is causing issues.

These boxes are normally quite tough.
So unless it has been ragged within an inch of it's life with very rapid gear changes and clutch pedal dumping, I would suspect the linkages are faulty or out of adjustment.

My main concern is that the other gears are not affected - which would point a rude finger towards a worn synchro or a mis-aligned or damaged gear cog.

If it isn't the linkage it wouldn't be cost effective to attempt a box repair.
Much cheaper to get a scrapper, but then you do not know the history of the replacement box.
It could potentially be in worse condition than the one you are removing.
Or it could be a minter - which would be amazing for a twenty-odd year old gearbox.

It is just a gamble that you need to consider.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Robsey wrote:So unless it has been ragged within an inch of it's life with very rapid gear changes and clutch pedal dumping,
You've never been a passenger in Mike's car :lol:
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure that some male brovardo may come into it when lads get together, but having not met Mike, I was politely giving him the benefit of the doubt. :P

I drive like I am "driving Miss Daisy" - well not quite, but this is probably why my box appears and sounds okay after such a high mileage.
But that means nothing... my car used to look nice and tidy, until the bottom fell out of it. :lol:
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Ummmm thanks Andrei....Tnuc

Think me and John found the problem fingers crossed, a loose gearbox mount up the front end.

Full details in my Wip post
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cabletwitch

Post by Cabletwitch »

Pretty sure all the problems you've ever had with that car are down to you driving a DVLA certified wreck like an absolute loon... I might be wrong? :D
Never use another Cav driver as guidance to a destination, unless you REALLY want to explore the country.

"Won't SOMEBODY please think of the scones?"

1.7TD Ethos (Slightly broken)
1.8i (Given up, going for parts)
2.0i (WHY won't it work?!)