Cavalier V6 radiator fan

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
chrisp

Cavalier V6 radiator fan

Post by chrisp »

My 1993 Cavalier V6 radiator fan runs almost all the time, even when the engine is cold, and I suspect the temperature sensor. However, the sensors I have located online do not look like the ones I can see in the crux of the 'V' on the transmission end of the engine. Can anyone tell me where the radiator fan temp sensor is located?
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Cavalier V6 radiator fan

Post by iangsi »

On most 4 pot cavs it's screwed into the radiator itself somewhere
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

It's the same on the V6. It's on the drivers side of the radiator, mid-way down on the side facing the engine.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Many thanks for the swift responses. I've now located the sensor on my radiator and confirmed it looks like the replacements I've found. Don't know why I didn't think of it being on the radiator but there's so much stuff crammed into the V6 engine compartment that it's difficult to see a lot of of items. Thanks again.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yes, there isn't much room to work around on those V6 lumps! I managed to replace mine with a bit of hassle, obviously removing the air filter housing helped me a little I think, I had the same problem with mine, but with mine, it was the resistor pack which is mounted on the other side of the radiator, it's like a ceramic block, those are hard to find. The fan ran as soon as it warmed up a little and wouldn't shut off so I had to disconnect it on short trips unless I was stuck in traffic.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I've often thought a fan overide switch could be a good idea, just means accomodating it somewhere on/under the dash.

Alan
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

chrisp wrote:Many thanks for the swift responses. I've now located the sensor on my radiator and confirmed it looks like the replacements I've found. Don't know why I didn't think of it being on the radiator but there's so much stuff crammed into the V6 engine compartment that it's difficult to see a lot of of items. Thanks again.
No problem glad to help :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Mk3alan wrote:I've often thought a fan overide switch could be a good idea, just means accomodating it somewhere on/under the dash.

Alan
Easily done via a relay.
If you don't have air con, you could always fit a switch in one of the blanks.
Or even one of the seat heater switches.

I have done a thread on this somewhere, although I probably need to re do all the images after fotobucket pulled the plug and I deleted my account - pah!