Oil Filter

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
chrisash86

Oil Filter

Post by chrisash86 »

Hi everyone my v6 CDX went for mot and passed! And I got the garage to do a service I provided the oil, fuel filter spark plugs but I didn’t have a GM oil filter so I asked the garage if they could get a gm oil filter no problem. On picking car up it’s a non GM filter fitted.
My question is can I fit a GM oil filter without having to drain the oil out of the sump?
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Oil Filter

Post by iangsi »

Short answer is yes, you may get a bit of spillage when changing the filter but they are generally positioned higher than the sump as the oil is pumped through the filter, you'll need to top up the oil once you've changed it though as some oil remains in the filter.
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Cheers pal
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As said above really...
When unscrewing the filter, just under half of the filter contents will try to make a bid for freedom, so be ready to catch any spillage as you unscrew the filter.

Have plenty of rags and / or a catch pan ready to catch and clean up any mess.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

At least the new one won't be too tight. To be honest I have no idea what filter I have on mine. I must buy another load of vx ones. I used to always have a stash of fuel and oil filters.