Stiff bonnet release

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Mk3alan

Stiff bonnet release

Post by Mk3alan »

My bonnet release has always been hard to pull, very similar layout to my MK4 Astra which is easy to release.
I have been concerned that the plastic release lever could break, so today I disconnected it from the bonnet latch and unwound the free end out of the bonnet space. Felt quite free once uncoupled.
Found a piece of silicone tubing to fit the release cable outer and secured it up high and filled the tube with some 5/30 synthetic engine oil, the first 'dose' entered the release cable so I gave it another one and let it seep into the outer.
Gave it a waggle from time to time to help it flow through.
Put it all back together and -------- it feels almost exactly the same!

Alan
Cavalier342

Re: Stiff bonnet release

Post by Cavalier342 »

You can adjust the tension on the cable by a small amount by loosening the small screw that secures the cable to the slam panel near the VIN plate, if it's not too rusted out as most of them get that way. Loosen the screw, and wiggle the cable a bit either way, left to loosen, right to tighten, and see how it goes. Remove the grille when experimenting with it so that you can get the bonnet open again if pulling the lever fails.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have to agree with Andrei,

Mine got rediculously difficult to open, until one day the handle detatched from the rest of the assembly.

It is the age old issue of the cable stretching.
I did mine about 18 months ago.
I had to drill out my self-tapping screw and the 'j' nut was so badly rusted that it half broke up, so I replaced the j nut and self tapper with new parts.

Next step is to slide the cable sheath to take up about 1/2" of slack.
Tighten the clamp plate back down with the self tapping screw and test again.

This worked first time for me.
As also suggested, take out the radiator grill, so that you can still release the hook from underneath.

If this is not enough, repeat the procedure by sliding the cable sheath another 1/2", and so on.

I still have my old lever fitted as it is merely clipped together on plastic tangs.

A proper fix would be to replace the cable, but I am a tight pig, and so the free option is to drill through the lever and fit a 5mm nut and bolt.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Replace or adjust cable ... but that’s already mentioned.

Another option - You could move the lever to the other side under glove box as with eu car. The cable is shorter and less stress on the cable. But then you’ll need a few bits... the cable hole is present both sides.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Have you tried lubricating the actual release mechanism under the slam panel if top screws are rusty the mechanism won't be far behind.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I think I will go down the adjustment route, it all came undone fine as it's always been lubricated and waxed.
I fitted the clamp back in the same position it was in originally but perhaps that wasn't the best place!
Will have a go at moving it - the operating lever seems to be towards full movement before it releases the bonnet inferring that there is too much slack.

Alan
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Make sure the rubber stoppers at each end of slam panel ain't too high, if it is the bonnet will lock very tight as there will be a lot of upwards force pushing against lock, meaning you need a lot of force to release the lock.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Had a look at cable adjustment today and moved cable outer by only about 3mm to remove some slack - didn't make a great deal of difference although it helped.
I then screwed in the bonnet bump stops, bonnet was easier to shut and a bit easier to open but bonnet shut line was now below the wing line. So I put them back to where they were and unscrewed the bonnet pin by half a turn, once again easier to close and definitely a bit easier to open! Might try another quarter turn later.
I decided this is as good as it's going to get.

Alan
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Just keep everything nice and greased up and it should be ok.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Mk3alan wrote:Had a look at cable adjustment today and moved cable outer by only about 3mm to remove some slack - didn't make a great deal of difference although it helped.
I then screwed in the bonnet bump stops, bonnet was easier to shut and a bit easier to open but bonnet shut line was now below the wing line. So I put them back to where they were and unscrewed the bonnet pin by half a turn, once again easier to close and definitely a bit easier to open! Might try another quarter turn later.
I decided this is as good as it's going to get.

Alan
It's a fine line Alan with these adjustments. You need to just move a wee bit at a time till you get it just right. You can actually unscrew the big lock pin from bonnet, lower the bonnet to see where it rests on the rubber stops without the force, adjust to suit, then screw big adjuster back on and fine tune it to where you want it just locking with light force against the stoppers. Try 1/4 turn each time with rubber stoppers.