temp gauge reading high

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Ray85

temp gauge reading high

Post by Ray85 »

hi im using edge
Hi i recently brought a mk3 cav 2.0 cd auto
i collected it from birminham and the temp gauge went up to 100 and stayed there i checked the coolant level etc and decided to drive it back got back ok 100 miles I've done a service on it now and replace the timing belt and water pump and the radiator (rusted} replaced temp sender and thermostat and it is still reading 100 after running for 15 mins .
so i tried another gauge and still the same .
the heater works ok its not losing coolant
any idea's please
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: temp gauge reading high

Post by Robsey »

Hi Ray,
To be honest 100° sounds a lot, butdoes not appear excessive.

Normal gauge readings should settle at about 95 or so degrees C, but I have known other similar aged Vauxhalls run comfortably as high as 103° without any issues.

You have changed the sensor and the gauge for known working items, but did you ensure that the sensor's female spade connector was also clean?
Corrosion on this could cause a deviation to the gauge readings.

Remember the temperature gauge in your dash is not a "precision scientific instrument", so it's accuracey may not be that fantastic.

The important thing is that the gauge settles at 100°C and not much higher.
If that figure is consistent, then I would not worry.

If there is a problem with the engine or cooling system, then it is likely to be one of the following.
1 - Thermostat failed in closed position.
2 - Water pump is not working effectively (slipping or damaged impellor blades).
3 - Radiator fan switch not kicking in at the correct temperature
4 - partial blockage in the water galleries of the engine or hoses.

I feel modestly confident that if you managed to drive a 200 mile round trip without any adverse effects, then you should be okay.

I hope my ramblings go some way to easing your concerns.

Regards,
Rob.
Ray85

Post by Ray85 »

Thanks Rob for your reply

yes the terminal is clean and I've replaced the pump and stat already
but I think the cylinder heads been off
I think there could be a circulation problem
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you think you may have a blockage, the quickest solution is -

When the engine is cool, try giving the big fat radiator hose a few good firm squeezes as it rises to where it meets the main plastic distribution pipe junction above the gearbox bell-housing.

You should see a good swoosh of coolant being fired into the header tank every time you squeeze. Hopefully this will dislodge any loose crud.

I would then disconnect both big hoses from the radiator and give the engine and the radiator a thorough flush through with a hose pipe.
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

It's a tricky one to call but I'd have to side with there being an issue somewhere. Not necessarily an issue that is major but something which isn't quite right (I agree with Robsey that if it were bad it'd have blown up by now).

All the Cavalier's we've had in the family have peaked at what looks like 95 degrees on the gauge and 92 degrees is where most should have their cooling fans kick in (as mentoined they are 22+ year old gauges and precision).

I'd maybe try flushing out the heater matrix as a blockage in there may help the system creep it's temperature up. Also I'd prob check around for any weeping joins/pipes etc. Personally, for good measure I'd do a compression test make sure head gasket is ok.