C20xe - head gasket, possible failure??

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Calibre500

C20xe - head gasket, possible failure??

Post by Calibre500 »

Hi All. A bit of background info: I am trying to get my GSi going again and back on the road (albeit very slowly). Had an initial problem of it starting after 8 years of it being parked. Electrician confirmed a faulty Clifford alarm so it was removed. To check the running of the car it was left started for approx 5 or so mins but was turned off due to very low fuel.
Months later started car again but again work stopped due to deteriorated leaking fuel pipes in the engine bay. Also noticed that there was no coolant in the car for some reason. At this point was a bit wary of it being run previously for about 5 mins with possibility of no coolant but hoped engine was ok. No apparent leaks so not sure what is going on there.
Those sorted finally started car to let it run for about 15/20 mins - usual tappets and fuel/exhaust smells ( probably coz of being parked up for so long). Then checked oil cap and saw what could possibly be a hint of yellow in the centre. Has my head gasket gone? How can I check? It's a BIG blow to what already seems a mountain of work to be done. Many thanks.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: C20xe - head gasket, possible failure??

Post by Robsey »

Mayonnaise in the oil is not necessarily a blown head gasket.
However we all know that the XE is a favourite of the boy racer brigade, so may have had some serious hammer in the past.

All that aside -
When an engine is used very little or stored for long periods, you are bound to have some ambient moisture in the air.

If the car is run regularly for 15 or so miles or allowed to run regularly for a lengthy enough period to reach full running temperature - say approx 95°, then any ambient moisture should be boiled off and the oil will look normal in colour.

If however as in your case, the car has only been run briefly, it is likely that the ambient moisture has not yet been fully boiled off causing the discolouration of the oil.

Personally, I would check the following.-

1 - Pull out the dip stick and look to see if there is a lot of mayonnaise on this, or if it looks wet / has bubbles on it's test area suggesting the presence of water.

2 - Look in the coolant header tank and see if you have any blacky-brown sludge in there.

3 - Look at your plugs and see if any of them look "cleaner" than the rest.

4 - If you are reasonably happy that you have enough fuel, coolant, oil (the life bloods of the car), give the car engine a good run, to see if you are puffing out white steam from the exhaust or see if you have a distinct mis-fire.
Remember a little steam in cold conditions is normal, so do not be alarmed unless it is pumping out loads of steam.

It is obvious that you should keep an eye on the temperature gauge, and listen for the radiator fan kicking in a few times to be sure that all is okay and up to temperature for long enough.

5 - Listen for bubbling or gurgling around the header tank, and look for very hard swollen coolant pipes from the radiator.

Remember coolant will expand with heat, so modestly firm hot hoses are to be expected.

In all honesty, the Cavalier engines are not difficult engines to work on, even the 16 valves units.
So if the gasket has gone, it is well within the abilities of most home mechanics to sort.
I do remember being absolutely petrified doing my first few head gaskets a fair few years ago. So I do understand your concern.

As will all cars of a certain age, it is easy to become paranoid at the least set back or unexpected occurrence.

Apologies for the long lecture, I hope it is simply post-lay up teething problems and nothing more.

Regards,
Rob.
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

Thank you Robsey for your reply - your lenghty reply is much appreciated... believe me!!

Due to the lovely weather recently and busy with work I've not been able to do much further.

Checked oil previously and on the dipstick it is clean, no mayo or water/bubbles. No apparent sludge in coolant bottle either but as I said there was no or very little coolant after 8 years of it parked up. Not sure where it went?? So have topped up with just water for now until it reaches optimum temperature and thermostat has opened and no leaks apparent, then can drain and fill with anti-freeze.

Had plugs out in summer to ease turning of engine over from crank and they all seemed ok from what I can recall but can check again next weekend if weather is dry.

Car was running for about 10-15 minutes but no apparent misfire.

Have been told to loosen the coolant cap and then check via this method to see if the coolant bubbles over when the temperature gets up to optimum level. It should be more than a little boiling over and out and that this is a sure sign of the head gasket gone. Has anyone else heard of or tried this??
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

From what you tell me, all is fine.
BUT...
I would not risk just plain water in the engine at this time of year.
The last thing you want is for it to freeze and crack the block.

As for water loss... as you have now topped up the coolant level, it would be good to check for wet carpets in the footwells close to the bottom of the dash centre section.
This could indicate a leaky heater matrix.

Otherwise, with no other obvious leaks, you could put fluid loss down to natural long term evaperation.

Taking off the header tank cap and running the car up to full temperature should still cause a working engine to bubble and boil over due to the normal heat expansion of water as it gets very hot.
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

That's fine Robsey. Will have a check when weather is a bit drier but won't risk leaving just water in the engine/coolant bottle. Many thanks!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My pleasure.

And my civic duty to ensure that as many Cavaliers as possible have a fighting chance of lasting as long as possible.
8-)