c20xe starter moter

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
corrigan

c20xe starter moter

Post by corrigan »

think my starter is gone. car just clicks where I turn the key.. where is the starter on my engine cant find it? was looking at the back off the engine on the right side where the gear box is but cant see it ? and is it hard to swap
Cavalier342

Re: c20xe starter moter

Post by Cavalier342 »

Sounds like a battery issue, if the starter was gone it probably won't make any noise, it it makes a loud click, then it's struggling for voltage and can't crank.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it is a duff battery, try the starter with headlights on.

If the lights dim a lot when you try to crank, then it is a weak battery.

If you get a loud click but the lights don't dim that much, it could well be the solenoid kicking in, but the starter is jammed.

On most Cavalier engines (on my C18NZ and C20NE), the starter is mounted at the back of the engine, bolted to the gearbox bell housing.

There will be two wires, so don't forget to disconnect the battery before disconnecting the fat red starter wire and the not so fat red/black starter solenoid wire.
We don't want unexpected firework displays.

In fact, you could follow the fat red wire from the battery to the starter motor.

There is a second fat red wire from the battery that goes to the alternator, but it should be quite obvious which wire is which.

Then it should just be two big bolts holding the flange of the starter motor to the engine side of the bell housing.

Probably a similar height up the engine side of the bell housing flange as the gear selector mechanism is on the gear-box side of the flange.
corrigan

Post by corrigan »

Robsey wrote:If it is a duff battery, try the starter with headlights on.

If the lights dim a lot when you try to crank, then it is a weak battery.

If you get a loud click but the lights don't dim that much, it could well be the solenoid kicking in, but the starter is jammed.

On most Cavalier engines (on my C18NZ and C20NE), the starter is mounted at the back of the engine, bolted to the gearbox bell housing.

There will be two wires, so don't forget to disconnect the battery before disconnecting the fat red starter wire and the not so fat red/black starter solenoid wire.
We don't want unexpected firework displays.

In fact, you could follow the fat red wire from the battery to the starter motor.

There is a second fat red wire from the battery that goes to the alternator, but it should be quite obvious which wire is which.

Then it should just be two big bolts holding the flange of the starter motor to the engine side of the bell housing.

Probably a similar height up the engine side of the bell housing flange as the gear selector mechanism is on the gear-box side of the flange.
its defo not the battery I had the jump leads over from my bmw, ill just leave it away in the new year and get some one to sort it for me