Intermittent engine light and slight judder/vibration

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Art3mus

Intermittent engine light and slight judder/vibration

Post by Art3mus »

Hi. I'm new to the Cavalier scene (only had the car a little over a week) so apologies in advance if I ask silly questions!
Ok so I have a 94 mk3 1.8ls auto. Most of the time it drives without fault although once or twice in a journey the engine light comes on for a few seconds until you take your foot off the accelerator. It dips in power slightly but it's not too bad and there's no rhyme or reason to when it happens. I could be going 30mph, 50mph or overtaking although when overtaking it doesn't always come on. Any ideas please? The seller said it's had a recent service. Also when it's in drive with foot on break at lights it more often than not feels a bit juddery/ has more vibration than I'd expect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Intermittent engine light and slight judder/vibration

Post by Robsey »

If the engine light comes on for more than 4 or 5 seconds, you can do what is called a paper clip test.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=630

If a fault is stored, it's identifying code will be flashed out by the engine light.
(Ignition on, but engine not running).

As for juddering, is it a clear juddery, or a slight irregularity in the idle rhythm.

The C18NZ does have a slight fluttery irregularity when it idles.

Weak spot on the C18NZ is the lambda probe. I think it gives a code 13 fault.

My first sensor used to illuminate the engine light for just a few seconds, almost always when I was cruising at 70 mph.

There is a throttle position sensor on this engine, but I always found mine to be very reliable.

Only the MAP sensor (code 33) and Lambda (code 13) ever gave issues.
Art3mus

Post by Art3mus »

Sorry for delay I've had problems with this site.
Art3mus

Post by Art3mus »

The vibration is constant but not as bad as when we first got the car. It does have irregular times of it too and also feels a lack of power at times but mostly when fuel gets low. I've got a in tank fuel filter to put in and going to clean tank at same time. Hopefully this will help. As for the engine light, it's not come on for the past week or so after tapping the lambda bolt but I do have a replacement ready.
Found now that we have no fans though we have constant hot air so got another heater motor.
Also have a annoying whistle/blowing noise, but not sure where from as it's only when moving. Thinking it's front passenger area. Any ideas on that at all?
Thanks again for the help
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I presume you mean in tank pump.
The filter is outside the tank underneath the car.

Have you checked for air leaks on all the fine vacuum pipes. Air leaks can cause the symptoms you suggest. Look out for the little rubber elbows that attach the vacuum pipes to the throttle body, the air filter housing or the black plastic throttle body top-hat.

The fan motor is being discussed in another member's thread.
Have you checked the fuse (F4) the resistor pack (on the motor casing) and in some cases, a faulty switch.

As for air noise.
Look for a partially open window or defective seals on the door, door glass or sunroof.