Cavalier 1.8LS Auto

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
RoosterBooster7

Cavalier 1.8LS Auto

Post by RoosterBooster7 »

Hey guys, new to cavalier ownership and would love to get to know the community and learn more about these cars, bought my cavalier (Nigel as he's affectionately known) back at the start of Feb, had no problem with it other than a wheel bearing up till now, but for the last week it's been ridiculously slow, 0-60 time is "yes, if downhill with a following wind" I usually can't pass 45, my suspicion is torque converter but here's the symptoms so ye can get an idea of the situation, engine seems to be fine and running smooth enough when in neutral, when in drive and not moving it vibrates a fair bit, when driving I only seem to be able to gain speed at low RPMs, if I rev up to 3k the car will almost be decelerating, when accelerating and the car changes gear it seems to jerk forward quite hard, also for those who know the area - the other day I was on the M25 clockwise and came onto the junction 8 exit slip road, this slip road is about 2.6mi long and on a light but constant slope, I entered the ramp at 65mph and came to the top doing 43mph no matter how far I pressed the throttle I wasn't able to pick up any speed, I would love to know what's wrong with the car as I really enjoyed driving it before this happened to it, all suggestions are welcome, looking forward to your replies guys! Thanks
Mk3alan

Re: Cavalier 1.8LS Auto

Post by Mk3alan »

Hi and welcome!
Not the same vehicle (MK2 Astra Auto) but similar experience.
Couldn't find anything basically wrong with engine but it just wouldn't go!
In desperation I removed rear exhaust box - fine. Removed centre section, also with a silencer and found all the sound deadening 'wool' from the box had been pushed down the pipe.
Couldn't believe it, totally blocked, how it ran at all beggars belief.
Just a thought.

Alan
RoosterBooster7

Hi Alan, thanks for the reply! I checked the back section and that was fine, when I get back from work today I'll have a look at the centre section, I presume after you changed the centre section it started driving as it should? Thanks again
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Being a tight ass I cut the end off the box as it was quite sound, removed all the innards and brazed the end back on.
Bit 'fruitier' but cured the problem!

Alan
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Welcome to the forum. My first Cavalier was a 1.8 auto LS as well, they weren't built for speed, but there isn't much to go wrong with them. If you put it in Drive from a stop then plant your right foot down, it should push you back in the seat momentarily and take off. If the torque converter is nackered, it probably wouldn't launch properly off the line. The only problem I've had with mine was the selector switch failed, which I replaced, I'm assuming you've checked around the engine bay for anything obvious like split air inlet trunking, dodgy spark plugs, or distributor cap internal contacts, etc.. How does the auto transmission fluid look?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
RoosterBooster7

Might go down the same road as yourself and do that Alan, just on the way home now and will have a look at it tonight. Ive checked the intake and spark plugs, all seems sound, I'll check the transmission fluid while I'm at it tonight, is it much if a job changing the selector switch? I'm still getting to know the car so wouldn't be too familiar with it. I'm not expecting it to throw my head into the headrest but I'm expecting it to reach 60 on a level road :lol: thanks again for your help lads, I'll let ye know how I get on, how long have you had your cavaliers?
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

23 years come October!

Alan
RoosterBooster7

Wow that's a long time!! The previous owner of mine had it for 18, I gave the car a quick spin with the centre section disconnected from the headers and wow, like it's got a new lease of life!! I didn't have time to gut out the the exhaust like you did, that'll be a weekend job for me but now I know what the issue was, you're an absolute legend Alan and you've helped me out alot, thanks :thumb
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Glad you found the problem, not the first thing that springs to mind - but at least you got there!
Has it got an Aisin Warner autobox, AF17?

Alan
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Glad you found the issue, it was nice and simple in the end.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
RoosterBooster7

Will have a look and let you know, were there many different auto boxes available on these?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I thought they had AF20 boxes. Mine did. Don't know about V6 models, they might have had something beefier.
Previous:

Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

We're Aisin Warner boxes fitted back then?

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

According to TIS and EPC.
Autoboxes available for the Cavalier are as follows: -

AF14 - 16SV small block engine only
This is an Aisin A.W. Co Ltd box.
From Isuzu plant Japan.

16SV - AF14 type PY with drive ratio 2.81
Control unit WT up to August 1989
Control unit XT from March 1990

--------------------------------------------

AF20 - 18SV, C18NZ, 20NE, C20NE and X20XEV family 2 engines.
Aisin A.W. Co Ltd auto boxes.
Code 50-40-LE. from Isuzu plant in Japan.

18SV - AF20 type PZ with drive ratio 2.81.
Control unit XA

C18NZ - AF20 type LH with drive ratio 2.81.
Control unit XR as of 1991

C18NZ - AF20 Police variant.
Drive ratio 2.40.
Control unit YQ as of 1991

20NE / C20NE - AF20 type PA with drive ratio not specified.
Control unit WP for August 1989.
Control unit YH as of 1990.

C20NE - AF20 Police variant.
Drive ratio not specified
Control unit HD as of 1991

X20XEV - AF20 type BJ with drive ratio 2.40.
Control unit KE as of August 1994.

----------------------------------------------

C25XE - AF22 type LK with drive ratio 2.81.
Control unit YT as of August 1993.
Based upon the Aisin A.W. AF20 unit, developed and produced at the SAAB plant.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Thanks Robsey, the AF17 I have is in my Astra and I wondered if it had been carried over from the Cavalier range, do you know if the AF14, 20 and 25 an Aisin Warner box?

Alan

Edit by Robsey.
My post above has now been updated.