Just saved a beautie, non-start.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
cieranc

Just saved a beautie, non-start.

Post by cieranc »

Hi all, new here.
The guy in the unit opposite mine is a banger racer, Last week there was a very clean 1995 1.8i Classic parked outside.
Knowing it's fate, and given it was so clean, I made him an offer on it and bought it. It's got 58k on the clock, a full dealership service history, a handful of MOT certs all from a local VX dealers.
Immaculate and complete inside, outside has a bit of surface rust on one back arch and a hole in the other side back arch.

But.......
It's a non-runner. I don't know the history as to why/when/what circumstances the fault started.
Fuel pump runs when I put a power probe to it.
Turns over fine on the starter. Occasionally splutters, starts for a second then bogs down and dies.
Has a spark, they're twin element plugs but there is a spark. The plugs are wet when removed.
Haven't stuck a compression tester on it, but there's a good chuff from the plug holes.
Doesn't sound like the timing has slipped, as in it doesn't backfire or spin too freely.
The banger lad has a few cavaliers and says he's already swapped the carb/throttle body off a running engine, but it made no difference, so I'm inclined to rule out injector/ISCV etc.
All the vac pipes appear to be connected correctly.

Basically, I'm interested to know if there's anything common on these engines that I should be looking for first.

I've got basic tools and a reasonable understanding of things mechanical, and this engine doesn't appear to be complicated.

Any ideas where I should be looking first, or what order to check things?
Any any particular component that would actually prevent the engine starting, rather than just making it run rough?

It's still in test until July, would like to have it back on the road in time for the Great British Summer :)

Cheers,
Cieran
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Just saved a beautie, non-start.

Post by Robsey »

Try taking the catalytic converter off.
If it is blocked, it will strangle the engine and stop it from starting.

Other than that, just basic service items.

If it has twin electrode plugs, it is likely to be 2 litre 8 valve engine.
20SEH, 20NE or if fitted with a cat, a C20NE.
cieranc

Post by cieranc »

Cheers, I'll give that a go.
Deffo a 1.8, engine number is right on the log book.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay - 1.8 with cat then
C18NZ.

Spluttering or struggling to start is usually -
Dirty ht leads.
Damp coil or ignition amplifier.
Damp, dirty or faulty rotor or distributor cap.
(But you have a spark, so rules those 3 out).

Air leak around the throttle body
(But you have checked and found no splits or leaks)

Clogged exhaust or catalytic converter.
(Hmm - very possible.)

Most other issues would put an engine light on. Such as crank angle sensor, vacuum leak at the MAP sensor on the bulkhead.
(A faulty crank sensor would probably cut fuel and ignition - so not likely as you have wet plugs and a spark).
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

All those things robsey mentioned and also make sure you are getting a good battery voltage, at one point mine was turning over but battery was a bit low so I reckon it just wasn't enough to give enough juice to the pump/coil etc. to get it going. Check dizzy cap/rotor and leads for damp/corrosion and also make sure the brake servo pipe aint cracked under the bend section in it, just above where it drops down into the manifold.

The 1.8s are also prone to inlet manifold gaskets breaking down and leaking, especially low milers like this they dry out through lack of use, though it should still start.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Just had a really stupid thought...
Is the timing out?

If it is more than a few teeth out, it will struggle to fire due to the timing being out.

I am sure I have put up a changing the timing belt How 2 for any of the 1.8 / 2.0 8 valve engines - it should be easy enough to follow and check.