X20XEV head gasket choice

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Nova_Tek

X20XEV head gasket choice

Post by Nova_Tek »

Hi all,

I've not had much luck with the forum search and haven't found much on this topic hence this thread.

Unfortunately, the Cav suffered a possible overheating and blew the head gasket between cylinder 1 & 2. It was due to get a new timing belt, rollers, tensioner & water pump (which I purchased recently) due to it sitting for a few years.

So now that it HG has gone and having got half the vital bits I'd need to replace, it seems like a no-brainer to get a HG kit and just get it sorted.

Prior, I was contemplating what to do with the power output as I feel the X20XEV should've been an engine that replaced the 20XE rather than being overshadowed by it (we all know the reasons why it wasn't).

I'm looking at getting cams, doing a suitable port/polish and up-rating the exhaust manifold so they compliment each other. There are many decent HG Kits around but I was wondering if there are any specific brand people recommend?

What do I go for? I don't want to go ridiculous for the sake of name dropping aftermarket parts down the pub.

Should I go for standard replacement stuff found everywhere? Go genuine GM? Anyone with any experience regarding this?

My aim eventually, is to get the XEV to 160+bhp with the above mods and some future ones inc. a remap. I know there are many varying opinions about how much money it would take, but having read much literature on this it shouldn't be difficult and will be work done over time.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: X20XEV head gasket choice

Post by Robsey »

I usially use Elring or Victor Reinz for gaskets.

I have never used Febi Bilstein gaskets, however they are often considered to be original equipment parts suppliers.

A lot of my Cavalier parts are Febi Bilstein items.

My personal preference is Elring.

There are many "aledged" OE quality parts suppliers that I have never heard of.
Probably just sales blurb, to get stock shifted.
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Those are a couple I've come across among other cheaper brands, and considered those as 1st choice at the moment, I'd assume they'd be able to an up in power too.

Thanks again Robsey (I'm starting to wonder if you're the only one replying on here :lol: )
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

The X20XEV engine is basically a de-tuned C20XE with more sensors for the emissions control, so should be easily be able to cope with any power upgrades you have in mind. I've seen them used as race engines in the old UK pickup truck racing series.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Nova_Tek wrote:
Thanks again Robsey (I'm starting to wonder if you're the only one replying on here :lol: )
Not quite the only one.
There are a few "core" members who visit the forum religeously.

I visit several times a day, and usually take it upon myself to help where I can.

As Ian suggested, those gaskets should be more than upto the job of coping with the changes you are considering.

In my experience, the only weak engine for gaskets was the C18NZ.
It never coped for long with enthusiastic driving. Ended up doing the head gasket three or four times before dropping a C20NE engine in instead.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Nova_Tek wrote:Those are a couple I've come across among other cheaper brands, and considered those as 1st choice at the moment, I'd assume they'd be able to an up in power too.
Like yourself, I'm happy with the x20xev

I've often been tempted by this listing that I bookmarked a couple of years ago.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASTRA-VECTRA ... 1438.l2649
I have a head I could rebuild but there's no urgency and I do wonder about the quality of the parts.
Under 70 quid - including valves ! - that they still haven't managed to photograph :scratch

I'd go for the reputable, tried & tested parts previously mentioned over an unknown, especially as you're intending to increase the burden on them.
Payen is another good one to consider if you find it.

The last one I fitted was Elring. Not cheap but worth it to me!
It lasted 7 years, maybe more? - don't know, I sold the car for my current one :)

There's a set here, minus bolts, worth considering.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Elr ... 1438.l2649

I reply when I feel I can confidently add something to the discussion. As such , It's not that often :roll:

are you the same Nova_Tek from MIGWeb by any chance?
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Thanks for the responses chaps.

I've had Victor Reinz in the past for a C20LET and was happy with it.

I'll take a look at the links given, thanks.

I'm looking forward to getting the XEV performing how most would've expected it to. Far too many slate them and I think it's easier and doable than most make it out to be. Sometimes being different is just as good :cool

ilovedmymantas, yes I'm the same Nova_Tek on Migweb and PNG Club too. I'm on quite a few forums actually. Used to visit religiously, but unfortunately most of them have died down in the modern age and aren't what they used to be (unless you sus out the search function properly and find exactly what you want lol)

It's good to get some proper advice and opinions from others though, so I do show my digital face when I can :)