Exhaust valve

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Harry48

Exhaust valve

Post by Harry48 »

Hi all, my M reg Expression needs exhaust valve replacing, anyone have an idea of the cost, at 143,000 miles is it worth doing?
Regards Harry 48
Cavalier342

Re: Exhaust valve

Post by Cavalier342 »

If you replace one valve, you do them all, don't think they're expensive to get, if you can find a set, is it a 16v or 8v engine? Worth doing if the engine itself is in good order, no knocks/rattles, etc.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Harry48

Post by Harry48 »

Thanks for your reply, it is an 8 valve & and is sound with no knocks or rattles, bodywork is good too.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

8valver means easier job, and obviously less valves to replace than 16valvers, so definitely worth it. Mileage sounds average really, they can last for much longer if looked after.

Do a search online with your engine code, I'm guessing you have C18NZ if it's Expression model? If done at a garage, probably expect around an hour's labour, plus the cost of the valves, make sure you get the correct ones for your engine.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hi Harry,

I had my cylinder head refurbed at about 215,000 miles, with only minimal wear on the seats.

The price of reworking depends how much preparation work you do yourself.

I stripped my head down ready for working on.
Checked the wear on my valve seats and found that the seats were fine,
but the valve stems were worn just a little too much.

I had it cleaned and skimmed and bought 8 new valves from the same engineering works.

They charged me about £87 all in, back in 2011. Prices would probably be nearer £150 now.

My WIP (page 15 states).
Head Skim = £25 + vat -------- Total = £30 (all in).
Inlet valves = £4.16 + vat------ Total = £19.97 for 4
Exhaust Valves = £7.92 +vat----Total = £38.02 for 4
Guides = £ 1.79 + vat -------------Total = £17.18 for 8
Total cost -------------------------------------- = £105.17
(I chose not to have the valve guides fitted, therefore final cost was £87.)

I lapped in the new valves, fitted fresh seals and a full gasket kit with new head bolts and rebuilt the engine myself.
At the time, less than £50 for a full engine gasket kit and head bolts.

The 8 valve engines are very simple and easy to work on.

Overall price depends on what you have done.
I was a bit O.C.D; so went the whole hog and had the water pump and full timing belt kit fitted whilst I was at it.

Seemed sensible at the time, because the timing belt has to come off anyway, to allow the head to come off.

If the engine is good, and there is no evidence of anything else to worry about, a good garage would take about an hour to get the head off, strip it down and lap in new valves, before putting it all back together again.

It just depends on what they find when they get the head off, although Vauxhall engines tend to wear well, and can often easily see 200,000+ miles requiring little more than a new head gasket and stem seals.
Harry48

Post by Harry48 »

Thanks very much for your help & advice Cavalier 342 & Robsey, will take this advice & keep you posted.