Steering rack

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
James McGrath
Club Admin

Steering rack

Post by James McGrath »

Hi everyone.

I'm after a bit of advice regarding my steering rack on the Diplomat. It's become worn and has a lot of internal movement to it. The steering feels stodgy and imprecise.

I've considered getting a direct replacement however, I can't identify which steering rack I need. For a start I can't see any part numbers on my existing one and when i go on EPC4 and put in my reg/vin number in, it does not show which part number I need. Instead it just shows no parts at all. :scratch

So I've been toying with the idea of getting my existing one reconditioned.
I've got in contact with this company:

http://propowersteering.co.uk/

...and they have quoted me about £150 to get the rack reconditioned but another £300 to remove and refit it.

To be honest, as much as I like this option, I can't really afford that much at the moment.

So, my question is, could I get hold of a second-hand rack from another Cavalier and fit that instead?
Are they all interchangeable?
Would a rack from a different model (SRi, Turbo, V6, standard 1.4, 1.8 ext.) just bolt on or not fit at all?
cavalier1990

Re: Steering rack

Post by cavalier1990 »

James

I'm not sure if they are all interchangeable, especially the ones from the turbo/V6 etc. Certainly the ones I've had the racks look the same. The part number should be on the left side of the ram, actually right side looking at engine bay. I'm guessing your's possibly still there as mine is on my 130k LS. I did get one rack to fit my old 2.0. I had to use a flexi joint from a daewoo (don't ask!) to jump the hex fitment on my steering shaft to the multi spline on the new rack. I still have that rack kicking about as it was Brand new, and I scrapped the car not long after. Might have been a daewoo rack but had new GM sticker on it and part number, but was a lot thicker than a cavy rack.

I'd say you can't go far wrong if it's from a 1.8/2.0 just check pinch bolt (under dash) and pipe fitment look the same.

I would say the rack is relatively easy to get off, except that you have to remove the brake servo (hex bolts accessed from 2 holes in wiper motor area) to get to drivers side rack mount bracket, which is a bit of a pig. No need to remove rack ends, just unbolt steering arms in middle of rack boot area, and obviously unbolt pipes.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Having a quick shufty through the parts and descriptions,

The main difference is for 4x4 or standard configuration.

Auto or manual does not seem to make much difference.

From what I can see, your part number looks like -
90 542 486.
Or exchange / refurb part number R1100021
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As an update,
I just looked on EPC3.

For your reg and VIN it quotes an exchanged unit codes only.
That is R1100022 = Saginaw unit.

There are ZT unit codes but none of these were used in your VIN range.

So not quite the code that I found on the online listings.

I tried a bit of reverse searching to see what R1100022 replaced, but EPC3 came up a blank.

The part number I originally quoted appears to be specific to VINs from 1994 onwards.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

It's certainly an odd car my Diplomat.
I get these sorts of problems all the time with parts.

Maybe it's because it was made in Rüsselsheim not Luton?

Do you think I could fit an uprated steering rack from an SRi?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The uprated SRi (C20XE) rack was fitted to the C20NE equipped cars anyway from 1994.
I personally cannot see why not.

All plumbing and mounting points should be the same regardless of engine / trim spec.
(Apart from V6 perhaps).

EPC is quite random, as it will say "not for Japan" on one line,
but "for Japan" on the next.
Both will have a "supersession" comment saying to replace with a new part number.
And it will suggest the same part number for both.

Perhaps they decided to rationalise part numbers to cut down on different stock levels and confusion in the warehouse.

Who knows the reasoning behind it? Vauxhall / Opel often defy all logic to me.
Robsey wrote: The part number I originally quoted appears to be specific to VINs from 1994 onwards.
That code R1100021 covered C20NE as well as C20XE and X20XEV in 1994.
So in summary - unless there was a sudden bulkhead / plumbing design change in 1994, the SRi rack should fit your Diplomat.
Robsey wrote:Your part number looks like -
90 542 486.
Or exchange / refurb part number R1100021
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

A thought that just occurred to me was,

In my line of work (wheelchairs and pressure cushions) - if a wheelchair is refurbished for re-issue, it is reconfigured back to "standard" specification, and then given a new "standard spec" code to identify the size make and model.

This may be what Vauxhall / Opel have done - refurbished all racks to the same R code as they will be re-sold on a "One Size Fits All" basis.

Just a thought...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

You may have a point there about refurbished racks. All the gearing inside would be replaced in the refurbishment process and I'd imagine it would be replaced with standard parts.

Do you think this would fit?

Ebay item number: 153516906921
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It looks like it should fit.
Needs a damn good clean.

But at that price, it is worth a punt.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I just put R1100021 into the GPS parts search page.
They quote £664 for an exchange / reconditioned rack.
Yikes!! :shock:
(I would expect same day hand delivered by the boss for that price). Rediculous!.

R1100022 is not available.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Here's a quick video of the symptoms:

Link

https://youtu.be/u2-MUlg24fE

I also found a number on the rack.
Looks like 2602365
There is also an ident sticker with the letters IB
Does that narrow it down at all?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I will have a look again this evening, although the part number does not seem to fit in with the normal format.

I will update as soon as I get chance.

UPDATE - As suspected, neither the Alpha Code "IB" nor part number 2602365 are recognised in any of my listings...
:scratch

Not found in the description, part number nor Kat number for either Vauxhall or Opel.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

If you do get it reconned I can recommend western power steering. http://www.westernpowersteering.co.uk/

I got my granada rack done there and it was done correctly, not just cleaned and sprayed with black paint!

They might have one on the shelf. Although dearer than buying 2nd hand unti off ebay you do have piece of mind it will be good for a long time.