V6 cav A/C Delete?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
GP123

V6 cav A/C Delete?

Post by GP123 »

Hi.

I think the A/C compressor is a problem on my V6 cav. It sounds like a grinding noise is coming from the pulley when the cars idling. Its gets worse as the car warms up in temp!

Is it easier just to do delete it and be done with it? Has anyone done this before to their C25XE and can explain what they did etc?

Thanks for any help! :)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: V6 cav A/C Delete?

Post by Robsey »

It is possible to simply remove the drivebelt and fit a shorter one that misses out the pulley completely.

Of course the air-con will no longer work, but it will save you a small amount of horse power too.

It could be argued, that the British summer is that short, that air con is rarely needed / used anyway.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:It is possible to simply remove the drivebelt and fit a shorter one that misses out the pulley completely.

Of course the air-con will no longer work, but it will save you a small amount of horse power too.

It could be argued, that the British summer is that short, that air con is rarely needed / used anyway.
I find Aircon can be a god send in traffic though. When you're moving I agree with robseys sentiments.
In the past I have with a couple of cars that have had failed air con pumps simply done as Robsey says fitted a shorter belt off a non AC car .
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks lads. The C25XE V6 engine being the way it is with certain things i wonder if it is as easy as that. I dont use AC anyway in any car. Puts a drag on the engine and so on. The compressor appears to be held onto a big bracket that maybe is on the engine mount?

Im just wondering is it as easy as putting on the non ac belt and it will clear this bracket ok. Has any other V6 men on here done a AC delete before?

Thanks.
Gerrymc5

Post by Gerrymc5 »

Hey guy sorry to but into post but I'm also looking to delete A/C from cav turbo. Has any off yous done this already and maybe have a step by step of how to do it
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I haved looked at this at great length.

There are three parts to this.
1 - Plumbing of the refridgerant.
2 - Any perceived electrical changes.
3 - Routing of the serpentine / Multi-vee belt.

There is no super lazy way, of just fitting a non-air-con drive belt, to miss out the compressor pulley.

Unfortunately, it looks like the edge of the compressor pulley would just foul on the back of drive belt on it's long run between the bottom of the crankshaft pulley and the power steering pulley.

So the minimalist way to delete the air-con compressor pulley, would be to remove the compressor fully from it's mounting shackle. (3 bolts),
Before fitting a non-air-con drive belt.

It could be argued, that if the air-con is never powered up, then it'scompressor clutch will not engage, and so extra drag on the drive belt would only be minimal.
The engine is only under an increased load, when the compressor clutch engages.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Continuing on...

If you are deleting the air-con, then from here it depends how much you wish to remove.

1 - The least necessary to keep it simple,
a - disconnect the compressor wiring plug.
b - get the system degassed, drained and cap-off any hoses.
c - remove the compressor and it's shackle.
d -fit a non-air-con drive belt.

2 - Just the mechanicals and plumbing.
e - as for "1" above, but with the addition of removing the excess baggage / weight of the condensor dryer and all engine bay pipework.

3 - The whole lot including the electrics.
f - as for "1" and "2" above but consider the following:-
There is additional wiring anyway on the V6, so air-con deletion may not require much.

On a standard 4-pot, there would be a potential to make a lot of significant wiring changes.

Further thought should also be given to the fact that the air-con heater assembly (distribution unit) behind the dash has some differences to it's non-air-con counterpart.

I would probably go for a half-way house - No2.
Leave the interior alone, but clear as much un-necessary gubbins from the engine bay.

Check that the radiator coolang fan still kicks in and cuts off as it should for your specific engine.