Oil pressure light how long to turn off

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
cavalier1990

Oil pressure light how long to turn off

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi all

Something I noticed about the oil pressure light on my 1.8 is it takes quite a while to turn off. Usually takes about 5 secs, sometimes a bit longer to go out, mainly from cold.

From previous experience I realise this can be down to worn big end bearings, there isn't any noise from them so wondered if anyone had any issues with oil pumps or anything else with this engine that caused this kind of symptom?

Cheers

Andy
vexorg

Re: Oil pressure light how long to turn off

Post by vexorg »

Worn pump?

The pump usually holds all the oil in place, so on any typical vauxhall (or any car), the oil light if off before it starts, ie while turning over.
The only time I've seen it for a few seconds is on an oil change as it has to fill the filter and pipework
David
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

My old MotorSport 1.8 did exactly the same, no longer than 4 or 5 seconds though. But it was not an issue for me, the gauge I fitted showed the the pressure did come up.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

vexorg wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:40 am Worn pump?

The pump usually holds all the oil in place, so on any typical vauxhall (or any car), the oil light if off before it starts, ie while turning over.
The only time I've seen it for a few seconds is on an oil change as it has to fill the filter and pipework
It certainly could be although there isn't any sign (apart from the light taking a while to go out) of oil starvation. Hoping this year I can swap the engine out to the lower mile replacement I've got anyway.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

iangsi wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:09 pm My old MotorSport 1.8 did exactly the same, no longer than 4 or 5 seconds though. But it was not an issue for me, the gauge I fitted showed the the pressure did come up.
Could be the oil pressure switch itself I suppose.
dycie

Post by dycie »

For what it takes to fit an oil pressure gauge it’s a good back up to keep another eye on things.
She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

dycie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:54 am For what it takes to fit an oil pressure gauge it’s a good back up to keep another eye on things.
Probably a good idea; I noticed more recently that sometimes the light doesn't even come, so likely a duff sensor.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The gauge is one thing - buying a sensor that works for a reasonable life span is another.

I can't think how many new sensors I have fitted, for them to fail within a year or so.
My current sensor hasn't worked for years.

To be honest - the best thing is to:-
1- ensure that all the wiring from switch to dash is sound.
2 - ensure that where the switch screws into the block is clean and free of congealed oil or filings.
3 - ensure that a good quality switch is used.

And if you are really worried, fit a fresh pressure relief valve and spring.

The oil pump housing is very simple in design and quite easy to work on. Better if you have a pit or lift, so you are working at a comfortable height / angle.
On the bottom of the engine behind the crank pulley.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:04 am The gauge is one thing - buying a sensor that works for a reasonable life span is another.

I can't think how many new sensors I have fitted, for them to fail within a year or so.
My current sensor hasn't worked for years.

To be honest - the best thing is to:-
1- ensure that all the wiring from switch to dash is sound.
2 - ensure that where the switch screws into the block is clean and free of congealed oil or filings.
3 - ensure that a good quality switch is used.

And if you are really worried, fit a fresh pressure relief valve and spring.

The oil pump housing is very simple in design and quite easy to work on. Better if you have a pit or lift, so you are working at a comfortable height / angle.
On the bottom of the engine behind the crank pulley.
Tbh I think it's been like this for a long time so probably another year or two won't matter. I'm also planning on changing the engine for my low miler one so will likely renew the switch when changing it over.